1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro install problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vookster82, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

hello there, i got my XP pro CD and i decided to installed XP over my 2000 pro and it went through fine and fully functional the first time....but when restarted it gave me the boot to operating screen of my choice, XP or 2000....something to do with the partion i presume er something....anyways, so i got the XP pro SP2 boot disks and booted up that way and deleted the partitions and formatted. (quick) should i do a regular format? but anyways. it starts copying files and at 44% it says "setup cannot copy file: XPBatCrt.wav" i can skip the file or quit the setup.....so i chose skip just for the heck of it and the it cant find the XPLogoff.wav and then some others......any ideas of whats going on or what i am doing wrong? all help and suggestion is greatly appreciated

2. mobo

mobo

Just press esc and continue on ..If you get multiple errors then reformat and do a full format not quick.

3. vookster82

ok...in the process of doing a full format....whats the difference between full and quick anyways? i never did a full format with 98. must be the different file system

4. mobo

mobo

You dont have the same options in 98 as with nt so no you did do it differently but a full format with nt would be equal to format c in fat..

5. vookster82

ok...the full format finished and i still get the same copy errors....there was four of them so far, one was XPBatCrt.wav, XPLogoff.wav, XPPrint.wav and some other one....gonna go see if the setup will even finish

6. mobo

mobo

Dont panic yet. I always get at least three when I clean install here but not those ones. Sometimes and I think most often it has to do with the hardware configuration of the system.

7. vookster82

ok, no good...it hung at 91% after about 14 more errors. like: wow32.dll wscsvc.dll, wscui.cpl wsecedit.dll wuauhelp.dll, wstredr.ax, wstpager.ax. xenroll.dll, xmlp_beu.xdr to anema few. So right now im reformatting with 2000 and going to install 2000 again....then should i install XP while in 2000...or should i reboot and try doing it from the setup.....how do i access that again...f8, f2, f12...something like that right? let me know what u think i should do?

8. mobo

mobo

If your target is XP then first make certain the cd is clean and free of marks. Then reboot from it and do a full ntfs format then install.

9. vookster82

well im doing the NTFS format from my 2000 CD...then i figured i would get 2000 up and going and install XP from there....i dunno :eek:

EDIT: YAHoooo....i found my old 250 mb flash drive in my nephews pen holder...atleast i got that going for me...now i got 2 (y)

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

I have had those kinds of errors before and had to change the cd-rom . . it was not reading the disc correctly. .

wrs

11. vookster82

but it read the CD fine the first time i installed it....but then i realized i did somethng wrong with the pertition b/c when ever i restarted after i installed XP it gave me the choice to boot from XP or 2000...so i used the floppies to set it up so i would be able to delete the partitons and now it wont install...errr

12. mobo

mobo

Reboot with the cd, delete all partitions and let it install using the unpartitioned space do a full format and try the reinstall.

13. vookster82

ok...2000 install will be done in about 10 min....im gonna use a CD rom cleaner (CD with little bristles on it) then ill reboot with the XP CD and do as u said...be back in 20 min

14. mobo

mobo

Make sure the disk has no marks on it as well and if it is new then maybe go back to the retailer you purchased it from.

15. vookster82

bah...forgot the lens cleaning process takes about 30 min...figure i might as well considering it hasnt been cleaned in four years anyways....ill have to continue this tomarrow....but 2000 installs fine...i dun get it oh well, hopefully i can get some more help tomarrow....thanks for the continued help mobo and thank you simpswr for the past experiance info

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice