1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP pro install taking over 4 hours - normal?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drinaldi, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drinaldi

drinaldi Thread Starter

I installed a new HDD and am installing XP Pro. It has been 4-5 hours already and the install process is still going. it is at the registering components satge and this itself is taking about an hour. Is this normal? How long should I expect this to take. Computer is AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHz. 256 MB memory. 120GB 7200RPM HDD.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. drinaldi

drinaldi Thread Starter

That is what I expected. What could be the problem? I don't want to stop the install now because I am concerned if I hav to start it all over again. I disabled caching on ,my HDD when I installed it - but that is the only thing I did differently than just standard install. Any ideas?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Why disable caching? . . never done that!

Did you disconnect all external peripherals except the Monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice