1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro Login shows but won't log me on..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fsumidn, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fsumidn

fsumidn Thread Starter

I have XP Pro OEM with current updates. Until yesterday i never saw the login screen since setting my computer up 2 years ago. This morning, I booted it up and I get to the desktop wallpaper with no icons then it kicked back to the login screen. The login screen shows with my user profile as the only start option. When i select my profile it trys to start with the profile and settings but immediately kicks back out and show saving user settings and stays in the login screen. What could be causing this? I ran 2 spycather/antivirus utilities in safe mode and didn't get anything but a worm that was quarantined and removed with no change. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Fsumidn

2. Dan O

Dan O

Use a System Restore to remove it, selecting a date before the change occurred.

As to why it changed? I don't know why.

3. fsumidn

fsumidn Thread Starter

Tried to restore to 2 different days before the problem started this morning but it didn't work. Everything starts fine in safe mode but still only gets to the desktop wallpaper before kicking to the user login when starting normally. Any more suggestions before I have to reinstall everything?

4. Dan O

Dan O

Run: SFC /SCANNOW

Which will refresh the Windows files.

5. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

In safe mode, see the event log viewer, it might give a clue about whats wrong.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have a sneaking suspicion a Windows Update causes that. have you done any optional ones recently?

7. fsumidn

fsumidn Thread Starter

You know i might remember something about another update a few days ago that it said i needed. It hasn't had these problems until this morning though so i'm not sure if that's the case. I've been able to connect my 20 gig mp3 player via usb and have been backing all my personal stuff in preparation for the worst.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice