1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro new install - spanning volumes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lexsar, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

I have just installed XP Pro on a PIII 400 Mhz with a 6.4 Gig hard drive. The hard drive shows as three partitions;

C: 2.01 Gig
    D: 2.01 Gig
    E: CD Rom
    F: 1.98 Gig

I tried a re-install of XP Pro to see if it would give me the opportunity to change this configuration but it did not, just re-installed.

How can I combine C, D & F into one drive letter (span volumes on the se logical drives)? I tried following the instructions using the Disk Management tools but where it instructs me to choose "Convert to Dynamic Disk" I have no option to do so.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

You can format the HD and make it all one partition using the XP installation CD. I am not very technical and I did it. I found this article from Black Viper and used it to guide me through it. I have had a lot of people tell me it is the best step by step guide they have seen. BTW the fine folks here are the ones who lead me to it. It really is quite simple with the right instructions. Here is the link.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

3. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Thanks flrman1, tried re-install (twice) but never got the choice to re-partition hard drive.

This is what I did. I used the diskpart utility from the command prompt.

First, I deleted the two partitions D: 2.01 Gig & F: 1.98 Gig in Disk Manager.

Then I got to the command prompt.

Entered: diskpart

Entered: list volumes

(To list volumes)

Selected volume 1 (C: drive)

Entered: select volume 1

I then extended volume 1 (C: drive) by 4000 Mb.

Entered: extend size=4000

Now I have one 6 Gig drive to access. It does still show up as a C: drive 2.01 Gig and D: 4.0 Gig in Disk Management but I did get what I wanted, to see the drive as one drive letter in Windows Explorer, etc...

Thanks for the help!

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

You're welcome. Glad you got it the way you want it. I don't understand why you had to use diskpart though.

5. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

I don't know either. I never got the opportunity on the re-install to reformat or partition. I was able to re-partition once I deleted the D and F partitions in Disk Management.

Like you said...I did get what I wanted.

Thanks for your input!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice