1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro not booting up properly!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by exp33, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exp33

exp33 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have XP Pro installed which has been running without any problems on my laptop. This morning when I booted up, I logged in and then nothing happened - I merely get a blue screen. The only thing I can access via 'Ctrl, Alt, Delete' is the Windows Security Box. When I open the 'Task Manager' screen, it shows that no programs have loaded. I can see that several services are running.
    I can view all folders and files through 'Task Manger'. I can copy files from 'Task Manager' onto my memory stick. I am not able to start any programs either. I am able to shut down okay.

I have tried the following without any success:
    1. Booting in safe mode - same outcome
    2. Used a Win XP CD to boot up with and tried to recover -
    3. ran a chkdsk - seems HDD is okay

I am currently running WinXP SP1
    I have not loaded any new programs or harware recently.
    I have an up to date AntiVirus program - Panda Titanium IS 2006

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rich

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Exp33 wrote.....

Rich, I am a little confused. You say you merely get a blue screen. Do you mean the BSOD screen? If you are only getting a blue screen how are you getting to Task Manager, how are you running chkdsk.... ? :confused:

Can you clarify. Tks

3. exp33

exp33 Thread Starter

Its confusing me also! After I login, I get the normal blue screen and then normally all the apps will load and off I go. However, now it sort of stops short of loading everything, the HDD light stops flashing and I cannot do anything except 'Ctlr, Alt Delete' which then allows me to access the Windows Security box. Maybe its Windows BSOD Light version :eek:

I was able to copy a file through 'Task Manager', 'New Task' and paste it on my memory stick - which makes me think the HDD is okay and that its probably XP??

4. exp33

exp33 Thread Starter

Im able to access CHKDSK by booting up with a WinXP CD and then using the Repair function.

5. Steven715

Steven715

When you press CTRL+ALT+DEl and you get the task manager go into file > run new task and type explorer.exe that might get you somewhere

6. exp33

exp33 Thread Starter

Hi Steven,
    I tried to run explorer.exe through Task Manager - it gave an error message saying: ' This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel.'

I cannot access the control panel...:(

7. Steven715

Steven715

Ok try this in the run bit it worked on mine it may not on yours but worth a try
    control panel put that as is in the run command and try that

8. exp33

exp33 Thread Starter

Got the same error message when trying to run control panel...:(

9. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Exp33,

Next step is to give Windows a health check.

Login as an Administrator and then.....

1. SFC

Click Start > Run and then type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and / ). SFC may ask for your Windows CD so have it to hand before you start.

2. MSCONFIG

Click Start > Run and then type msconfig. If you have not used msconfig before then BEFORE you do this read the Microsoft KB on the subject which you will find here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/

3. DXDIAG

Click Start > Run and type dxdiag. Wait for dxdiag to collect the system information as indicated by the progress bar at the lower-left. When dxdiag is ready, progress through all the Tabs and run the Test or the Troubleshooter as appropriate.

Let us know the results.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!