1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro & Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mcse72, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcse72

mcse72 Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if there is any way someone knows to log into a PC using Remote Desktop without logging the end user off. Or at the very least, be able leave the end user logged on again before closing the Remote Desktop session. I can't seem to find a way to do this, but we're about to deploy XP on several PCs at work and want to use RD rather than the remote software we are using now. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Dan O

Dan O

Remote Desktop always takes over the PC, which is required to manually install an application. If you want to view and share the desktop you can use SMS.

3. mcse72

mcse72 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Dan O. I will look into using SMS, that'll probably do the job from what I've read about it, but it's way too expensive. I might need to stick with the same old remote control software I've been using for several years. As far as Remote Desktop though, if there is no way to "share" the connection with the end user, (i.e. being able for them to see the screen) is there any way to leave the PC logged in after I finish, so they don't have to login each time? The problem is this is the libraries, and there are hundreds of public PCs with several different user accounts and logins. So I would like to be able to leave it properly logged in for them when I'm done.

4. Richardcj

Richardcj

An option that you have is to setup vnc software on the PCs, you have a few choices for this (most, if not all being freeware) ultravnc http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net and realvnc http://www.realvnc.com are good choices that I would recommend.

Both of these allow you to remotely interact with the remote desktop without logging them off. There are many options in both programs (more in ultravnc) which allow you to do a variety of things. It would be best to experiment a bit to find out what you can do and how the system works.

5. mcse72

mcse72 Thread Starter

I will check these out asap. Thanks alot!

6. Flail128

Flail128

I have used variety of RA software...RAdmin...best in my experience...low overhead...simple setup...uses NT permissions...allows simultaneous logins...and more.

http://www.famatech.com/

7. Dan O

Dan O

Make sure you let the IT and Legal department before using them, so you don't get in trouble possible.

8. mcse72

mcse72 Thread Starter

Thanks Dan-O. Although I'm the libraries desktop lead, I'm not going to be making this switch on my own. My manager will be the first to know. I just want to go in with something to show and tell. I'll be messing around with a few of these programs on my home network for a while before I do anything.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I also like Radmin. The price is very reasonable compared to other products ($35), very fast since it is so small it fits on a floppy disk, and has much better usability than VNC (which only stores entries by IP address and port, not by name which is much more user friendly).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!