1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro shared folder connections

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by heislerd, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heislerd

heislerd Thread Starter

Getting following message on our 20 computer XP Pro and W98 p2p network:

Error Message: no more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept.

Have a XP Pro machine in a lab of 6 XP computer and 14 W98 machines. I am used to sharing a folder and letting a many machines use a shared folder on w98. Obviously WXP is controlling this more than W98. Want to use shared folder on WXP as location for any students to open and save files as students come and go through day. Have a drive L: mapped to this folder and seems to work fine for several days and then start getting the above message. I am not in classroom so when I get there some machines will make the connection while others can't. I end up restarting some machines and manage to get machines to reconnect.

Am I bumping into an issue of only 10 connections allowed to a shared folder on a WXP machine. Read something about that on another site. It seems that I have been able to get all 20 machines to connect to the drive but perhaps I am closing the window as I move around room. If there is some limit of 10 connections is it possible to get up to 20 connections?

Any thoughts??

2. dai

dai

bump

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!