Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

xp pro should I upgrade

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  chewie1012 
#1 ·
I have a compaq presario 1720 us. It came with winxp home. I have had it a little over a year. In that time I have had five irrecoverable errors. I needed to reinstall the software. Usually it happened viewing folders or using the internet. I am wondering if I would improve things by buying a xp pro upgrade. I have xp pro on my desktop which I buiilt and it has worked excellent.

#6 ·
OK, so basically it reformatted and reinstalled all from scratch if the restore c.d.'s still work like my old compaqs did.
I guess spending the bucks on XP Pro is a matter of how much aggravation it is to you. Did you change any of the hard ware that came installed on your compaq?

#8 ·
I doubled the ram to the max allowed. It's not so much the aggravation I am concerned with. I am just wondering if it will improve performance enough to warrant the expense. Will it help my computer to be more stable? etc. I just don't want to spend $159.00 on something if it isn't going to give me more stability. If I was to put it into a question I would say is it the os or the Laptop. I have heard of many problems with xp home. I have xp pro on my desktop and have no difficulties.

#10 ·
Sorry Chewie
I don't think anyone could say yes or no about fixing the problem.
Could be a hardware issue and no OS might fix it.
Many people with Win ME hate it and go back to 98 because it kept crashing on them, I've used it 3 years and one crash.
Seems that some computers work best with certain o/s's
Do you have any ole Win 98 or Me disks, if you did you could try one of them, if the problem remains then going to PRO probably would not fix it either.
:confused:

#12 ·
They have a lot of proprietary junk on them but I reformatted mine and just installed the OS fresh. Win 2000 should work fine on it. I had it on the old Compaq here, 200M processor and 80Meg of ram and worked fine.
At least you'll know if it's the os or not without putting out bucks.

#14 ·
My compaq was 7 years old, didn't have touchpad..
Win 2000 may have the drivers.
If you have to restore again, try win 2k, nothing to lose, if it is missing drivers you can see which ones you need and then system restore and get copies of the drivers on floppys for the next time.
Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

#16 ·
XP Pro a waste of money? Well...I bought it because I had a warezed copy of Win2k installed, and I wanted to make it legal. Then I dropped the laptop I had Win2k on, and bought this 1711, which already has XP, so I had an unused copy of XP Pro...I had some problems with XP Home a couple weeks ago, and ended up reformatting and installing Pro. I can't tell much of a difference. I was intending to use the restore disc, but I had partitioned the drive, and the restore gave some error about not enough disc space...

Installing 2k is a good idea, and well worth the try...did you not get a drivers disc with your 1720? (I got one with mine, it has the touchpads and video drivers, etc) You can get at least most of the drivers from Compaq's support section, in the form of "Softpaqs".

#17 ·
I'll have to check those out. It has acted like it was going to crash a couple of times and didn't. I am thinking maybe microsofts updates may have fixed a earlier problem. I will be happy with it as long as doesn't crash anymore. I save all my important stuff on my desktop and use the laptop for multimedia and web stuff. I also use it as a back up for my desktop. So if my desktop crashes I have a back up and if my laptop crashes I just have several hours of work to get it back to where I like it if you know what I mean?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.