1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp pro shutdown problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fjordman1995, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fjordman1995

fjordman1995 Thread Starter

Hi Home (old) desktop is running xp pro sp3. it is an older dell and the cmputer of last resort after the sys 7 laptops. A while back 2-3 weeks ago someone was shutting down the computer and at some point the cat sat on , jumped on, or somehow hit the on/off switch on the power strip. I know this because the light by the computer is also plugged there and I saw the light go off and the screeen went dark.

Since then the computer takes forever (10 mins) to shut down at the last screen ("the computer is shutting down" screen)

I tried to restore the last restore point but no better. I have tried to diagnose the issue, but the only thing I can guess is that some file/process got damaged. I would like to do a repair install, but don't know which dell disk I need. (nodisk with used conputer)

Can anyone tell me what disk to get to do a repair install?

Thanks,

Warren

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Warren:

What's the model name and model number of that Dell?
    If you don't know for sure, advise what the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker is.

What's the complete version of Windows that's on the Microsoft Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker that has the 25-character product key?
    (Note: DON'T submit the product key)
    You have no discs at all for that Dell?

---------------------------------------------------------------

You should get rid of that power strip and replace it with a battery-backup unit.
    It'll prevent an accident like you had, and it'll keep your computer running during a power flicker or brief outage.
    Here is the one that I personally use with my desktop system.

3. fjordman1995

Thanks for the reply, I'll pull out the tower tonight and post the numbers

Thanks,

Warren

4. fjordman1995

Sorry it took so long to get these numbers, had to take the computer desk apart.

Service tag is .... ch25z91

The OEM number is .... bywfj-cpy2p-bgjjw-23ckt-g9m3w

Thanks for your patience, most of the problems have resolved themsleves. The two remaining items that seem to be out of the normal are the long time to shutdown and the fact that quickbooks pro 2005 wants to reininitalize once in a while and fails.

I have to uninstall and reinstall. It won't complete some update program either, but ti works ok without it. I wonder if the quickbooks issue might be behind the whole problem resulting from the power failure.

Thanks for your help,

Warren

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number CH25Z91, your computer is a Dell Dimension 1100/B110 desktop.

This is the support and downloads site that's specific only to your desktop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it came with Windows XP Home Edition pre-installed - which is what should be listed on the Microsoft COA sticker that has the product key.

According to the drivers and downloads section, it has these devices:

Intel 865GV Chipset

Intel 82865GV Integrated Graphics

Intel PRO/100 VE 10/100 Ethernet

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio

I suggest you download and save and then burn off these device drivers to a CD-R.

If and when you need to do a clean reinstall of Windows XP Home Edition in that desktop, you'll need to install some or all of these drivers afterwards.

The chipset driver will need to be installed first and then the computer restarted before installing any other drivers.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. fjordman1995

Hi thanks for the info, but since I don't have the xp disk, I was going to try and find one on ebay.

Can you tell from the service tag and/or the COA which disk to get? I've heard that I need to use one that would have been loaded when it was new probably service pack 2.

Thanks,

Warren

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You need a Windows XP disc that has the same version(Home or Professional or Media Center) that's on the Certificate-Of-Authenticity(COA) sticker.

Make sure it has Service Pack 1(SP1) or Service Pack 2(SP2), but preferably Service Pack 3(SP3).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. fjordman1995

Ok, thanks very much I wasn't sure if it needed to be version and service pack or if service pack didn't matter.

Do you want me to reply on the progress or mark this solved?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Keep your thread open and then advise us when you obtain the disc and are ready to do a clean reinstall.

I resurrect and upgrade older XP computers on a regular basis, so I can help you through the process if needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. fjordman1995

ok, will do

11. fjordman1995

Attached Files:

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I can't tell from the label if it actually has Service Pack 2.

If you can get a full version Windows XP Home Edition disc for only a few bucks, you're not going to be out much if it doesn't work.

---------------------------------------------------------

13. fjordman1995

Ok, I'll pick it up. Would it work without a key code? The description said it might not be included

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as it's the same version of Windows XP(Home Edition) that's on your computer's COA sticker, you use the product key on that sticker to activate it afterwards.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice