1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP pro software/hardware issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by frgpugs, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frgpugs

frgpugs Thread Starter

hey guys,

Hope you can help me with this. I got a computer from my friend who thought maybe I could fix it. My area is spyware and viruses so I dont know much about this. What happens is the comp starts up, and I get a improper shut down error and wants to choose how to boot... safe mode, last known, etc etc. No matter what option is chosen heres what comes up

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x80A4EE30, 0x00000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Not sure what it is, I cant even open the CD rom drive to try to repair so Im kinda lost. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

See this . . looks like you likely have a Damaged File System.

wrs

3. unknownguy18

unknownguy18

You should be able to open your cd-rom drive even before the boot gets handed to your hard disk drive. I recommend going into bios and setting a delay before boot. I'm not sure how your bios/cmos will have this option listed but most of them have such an option.

Next I would set the bios to boot from CD first and hard disk drive second.

Then I would try the XP recovery console. This can be accessed by booting from the XP CD-ROM. When you get to the recovery console, you can type "Help" at the command line for a list of all commands. They are not the same as DOS commands and are scarecely related. Try "Fixboot" and "Mbrfix." My suggestion is that something is messed up in the master boot record.

If this doesn't fix it, you can do a repair from the XP CD. You must go through the setup as if you were going to install XP on a clean hard disk. About the time your starting to get worried, XP will check for existing installs and give you a chance to repair them. I forewarn you, a repair like this is not a simple procedure. You will have to reinstall all your updates, reconfigure all your personal settings, and will have to activate your copy of XP again, which means you will need the original COA. This process will take about 30 to 40 minutes. At some point it will look like the thing is hung. Don't be fooled. If you go jog around the park 5 times when you come back it will be prompting you for something. A repair checks all files for integrity and validity and replaces them as needed. I sometimes think it would be faster if it just reinstalled all of them, which in fact it seems like it does for the most part anyway.

And then, perhaps there is someone else here who has a better repair option. I don't recognize your specific problem, but I don't think it's hardware related. I have never seen a hard disk drive fail with the type of errors you are reporting but I won't say it isn't possible.

Good luck!

4. frgpugs

frgpugs Thread Starter

now comes the problem. I just found out I dont have an XP pro cd, only XP home and its not reading the CD. Is there anything I can do with this. I cant get past the blue screen here. If only dos was still around life would be much easier.

5. frgpugs

frgpugs Thread Starter

i pulled the HDD and put it in a different comp as a slave. Im waiting for seagate to open for tech support to see if i can slave it and not have to partition it, cause ive never done it with an old hdd.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!