1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro SP2 only recognizing 1/8th of ram

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KeithF40, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

I have a HP dv6000z. It was running XP Home SP2. I did a clean install of XP Pro then took out my SP2 cd and updated that and then did all the other updates. I decided to give Vista a shot. It took with the upgrade CD that I got from HP. After Vista was up and running fine I updated my BIOS to the most recent version. Everything was still running fine.

I then decided I wanted to dual boot XP and Vista and also XP Pro 64 to give it a shot.

I popped in a new XP Pro SP2 cd that I got from my school and deleted the c: partition then divided it up into 3 partitions, 2 20 gigs and 1 25 gig and installed XP Pro SP2 on the c: partition, the 20 gig partition. Everything went fine.

I downloaded all the updates from Microsoft and then went into my computer for the first time and noticed it was only seeing 256 mb of ram. I have 2 1 gig sticks in my machine. I then decided to flash back to the old BIOS I had before I upgraded, since I dont remember checking Vista after the BIOS upgrade if it was recognizing the 2 gigs or not, but it was Vista and not XP so that might make a difference, I am not sure.

Well I flashed back and still it only says 256 and it seems that the computer is running awfully sluggish, like it only has 256 ram haha. This is weird since both sticks are greater than 256. Thanks for any help.

2. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

There was no boot.ini file so it created one. If I try to get into advanced on the boot.ini tab in msconfig it crashes.

3. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

I think it has something to do with a hidden partition. Idk what to do at this point though.

4. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

does the memory count correctly on the POST screen? your BIOS could be toast.

Why did you 'upgrade' the BIOS in the first place? did you install a processor or install any new hardware that was incompatible with your old BIOS version? did HP recommend to flash the BIOS in order to install Vista?

5. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

hp recommended for vista. i solved it though. first partition became the recovery partition after repartitioning the hard drive and it is fat32 instead of ntfs for what reason idk. well anyway i deleted all the partitions including the 10 gig recovery partition that i have no need for and reinstalled xp pro sp2. it is working fine now but some insight as to how to fix this problem without repartitioning the hard drive and why this actually occurs would be helpful. thank you.

6. dogged

dogged

sounds like it was just a bad flash and you were really lucky to recover from that. most times when a flash goes bad you end up with a paperweight. as to why the partitioning had any effect not sure maybe just a coincidence. hopefully the senior members here can shed more insight into that mystery.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/641681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice