1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro SP2 slows windows explorer & start menu to a crawl

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by badsamaritan, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badsamaritan

badsamaritan Thread Starter

When XP SP2 installed on work PC, it takes 15 mins for desktop icons to appear after bootup, and taskbar, start menu, and explorer windows have about a 4-min response time to each mouse click. Uninstalled SP2 and things back 2 normal. Some weeks later SP2 was reinstalled again by LAN (this is my work PC). same thing happened.
    Log shows some errors about Server {xxxxx} not registering with Dcom within timeout, Com+ Explorer problems, unable to generate RSOP. (Server {xxxxx} error was occurring every 4 mins for the first 2 days of problem, but now hardly at all, tho I haven't done anything as far as I know)
    When I go into Component services on administrative tools and click on the "computers" folder, component services immediately bombs out, and an error appears in log that Windows detected some instability etc. Log also shows errors about being unable to access WMI, and when I try to gather info in WMI I get a seemingly eternal delay.
    I kind of have a hunch this all may be security-related, but any ideas, previous experience etc.? I have two users of this PC who have identical usernames, one is a local user and the other is from the corporate NT domain. The corporate user's domain was changed from an NT domain to a different active directory one when we replaced our novell servers with windows ones, but we still use Netware client to log in to the PC.
    When you go into any user/group dialogs though,there's no sign of confusion between users. I've taken all network shortcuts off my network places, and the 1st level of the start menu but this hasn't really helped.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

You did of course run a defrag after installng SP2, didnt you?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice