1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP pro sp3 disc installation problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ingeborgdot, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I have tried to install a new xp pro sp3 disc on a new computer but have been getting errors in the installation. I have tried 3 different times but it says that the disc is missing some components and when it is final it does not work properly. I talked to microsoft but they are of no help. I finally talked to a tech person that asked me if I had another disc and I have an older sp2 disc. He said to install that but when I put in the key for my new disc it does not work with my older disc. I finally put in my old key and it worked fine. THe installation went off without a hitch but I won't be able to use my old key when I activate it. When I install the sp3 download will I be able to change my key to the new disc key? Can someone help me here?:( I have never had this problem before.

2. JeffM

JeffM

I had a similar problem. I rang MS and told them that I had a faulty disc , and after verifying my ID and address, D.O.B etc they finally agreed to send me a new disc.It took 3 days but I DID get the new disc.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You really should download the full 316 MB-size SP3 upgrade from here and then burn it to a CD-R.

Just for your information, once you install XP SP2 in a computer, make sure to restart first before installing the SP3 upgrade.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I have the one that the tech from MS sent me which is the exact same size. I am sure it is the same one.
    I have never burnt the os along with an update. How would I go about doing that?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice