1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro system problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by provobis, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

HELP! HELP! HELP! I have two computers, one I'll call XPpro and the other XP MCE. I use external USB enclosures (Addonics ae5sacsu2) with SATA HDD's installed with both computers to back up (clone) my internal HDD's regularly. I use EaseUS or Casper software to do the backups and I've never had any trouble for years until a week or so ago when XPpro failed to detect the HDD in its enclosure (XPpro evidently sees the enclosure because the enclosure driver pops up in Device manager when I turn on the enclosure). And I know when the HDD in the enclosure is detected because the desktop registers file loading when I turn on the enclosure, so that was the first indication of trouble with XPpro because there was no loading activity indicated on my desktop when I turned on the Addonics enclosure.

I have eliminated the Addonics enclosures as the trouble because (1) I don't have this problem on XP MCE and (2) I can switch both Addonics enclosures between XPpro and XP MCE and XP MCE is still fine but XPpro will not detect the HDD installed in either Addonics.

I have successfully done a repair install on XPpro but still have the same problem....I would hate to have to do a clean install which would mean reinstalling all the stuff accumulated, saved, and otherwise perfected for years. I have thought of flashing the MB but was advised not to because it's too risky, and besides all suspicions are that MS software is the culprit which may have updated something so as not to work the same way as before. If so however, question is why on XPpro and not on XPMCE unless the updates are not exactly the same for both OS?. I have asked MS (15 minute freebee) for help but the tech there did a few basic checks with remote, disconnected me, and dumped me into their comments menu. Thanks for nothing MS!

Some thoughts I have had are that the Addonics enclosures are both USB 2.0 devices and therefore(?) must use the USB serial bus controllers (in device manager), so the trouble might be some change in how those controllers work which can't be "repaired" by a repair install. Furthermore I can still backup (clone) the internal HD with my cloning software by plugging the destination HDD into one of the vacant SATA internal connections whereby the HDD can then be seen by XPpro. You might ask why then don't I do that? Because the whole idea of the external enclosure(s) was to avoid making repeated connects and disconnects inside the computer by using the external enclosure which just turns on and off without moving any hardware around. And besides I now have two Addonics enclosures (which have never given me any trouble) that I paid over $100 for and now can't use either one one on XPpro. Thanks again MS.

Something I don't think is relevant but I'll mention anyway, I have not updated IE to IE8 from IE6 because IE updates have not compared well to IE6 which I still use sometimes but only when necessary since I use FF browser most of the time. But that should have nothing to do with my OS detecting the hard disks in the system, inside or outside the computer.

Save me from a week or more of reinstalling XPpro and multi TB's of programs, data, and settings perfected over a period of many years. Thanks Tech Support Guy. Waiting for your generous and expert help. :)

PS and BTW I have liked XPpro (so far) and don't like anything after XP, especially windows 7 which I see too many complaining about

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

So, what your post actually says is: "I have an Addonics external drive that is not detected by XP Pro." Is that right?

Does it appear in Device Manager?

3. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil, not exactly right. The Addonics enclosure is detected (when turned on because it's not always on)) and appears in device manager, but the SATA hard disk inside the Addonics is not detected. It used to be detected by XPpro and still is by XPMCE, but not now.

When I say the enclosure is detected by XPpro in deviced manager I mean a "Marvel" driver pops up in USB serial bus controllers which can only be the enclosure, and also there is a XP sound of a device loading when I turn on the enclosure.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What appears in Device Manager exactly? The enclosure has no driver.

5. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Elvandil, sorry I was editing my reply when you sent your last post. I will check to see exactly what appears again and post it directly. Please wait.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Check to make sure nothing appears under Drives, too.

7. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

OK, when I turn on the Addonics, the only change in device manager is in universal serial bus controllers where at the top this appears: "cypress at2lp (3.03.0000.2)", and in properties of that device are device type= universal serial bus controllers, manufacturer CYPRESS, location 0 cypress AT2LPRC42

8. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Nothing appears under (disk) drives in device manager

and btw nothing at all appears in disk managment which should show any disk connected internally, or externally even by USB via the enclosure

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

First, try just cleaning out all the previous USB devices that are still installed though not present. Sometimes, this is enough.

USB Device Cleanup

Click the column header to put all the non-connected devices together. Then, select them all and uninstall them. (This can be done in Device Manager by making hidden devices visible, but it needs to be done there one by one, so is very time-consuming.)

Then, reboot and try your device.

(Have you tried other USB devices in that same port?)

10. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Ok I'll try your instructions....hope I understand well what you're telling me. I'll get back in any case to post a results reply.

And yes, I've tried other USB devices in the port normally used with the enclosure and tried the enclosure in any of 6 other front and back USB ports. And the enclosure has only one power connection, but anyway I've tried other USB cables to see if I had a bad one. Back shortly, I hope.

Also, I just realized your suggestion about "more power". The enclosure plugged into the USB port is self powered, and obviously supplies power to the HDD inside through its internal board connections. As I posted, I've tried both of my enclosures on both computers and XPpro is the only one that does not detect the drive inside the enclosure. Back directly I hope.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can do this through Device Manager, too, if you prefer. You just need to do it one thing at a time. This reg file will allow all devices to be shown.

Show All Devices In Device Manager

You use the reg file and then enable Hidden Devices in the View menu in Device Manager. Open up the USB section and uninstall all the faded (not present) devices you see there.

By either method, you can't do any damage. Even if you uninstall a wrong device, it will be reinstalled on next boot.

12. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Elvandil, I think I've followed your menu in Device manager properly by downloading reg file with your link
    Show All Devices In Device Manager then opening device manager and enabling hidden devices in the view menu. Then in the "USB section" (you must mean USB serial bus controllers?) I looked at everything listed in DM but saw no devices not working properly, that isto say a device with a yellow exclamation rather than "faded" as you say (I saw nothing faded). So I did nothing there. However checking everything else in device manager in non-P&P devices there were 2 devices that had yellow exclamations and properties for those 2 say they are "not present" but I still did nothing yet until you indicate I should or until you have other instructions. Am I clear with what I've said and done?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you merge the reg file? If not, unzip the zip file, right-click the reg file, and choose "Merge". Then when you open Device Manager and show hidden devices, you should see a lot of past USB devices listed and faded because they are not present. Those faded ones are the ones to remove.

Those Non-PNP devices may be something that was uninstalled. What were their names?

14. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Ok, sorry, I didn't merge. I'll do that and report

15. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

OK, merged the reg file, reg editor said info was entered, and in device manager there was no change in what I saw before. Nothing "faded" in USB serial bus controllers (all working properly) and the same 2 non-pnp devices with yellow exclamations (but not faded)...their names are "parport" and "ensoniq audioPCI". As for the faded reference you're making there must be a difference in how my OS indicates a not present device? All I have for the 2 not present devices are yellow exclamations, nothing faded anywhere unless I'm going blind.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice