1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP pro versions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cci704, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cci704

cci704 Thread Starter

I have had a laptop for several years running XP pro. I recently bought a desktop with XP pro and there are some subtle differences. My laptop will not hibernate. Laptop restarts, standby, shutsdown via a menu. The desktop uses icons for
    the same thing but includes SHIFT standby to hibernate. Both XP's are release 3. A file list on the desktop uses a menu on
    the screen (left side) to copy, delete etc. Laptop uses icons on the top of the screen for the same functions.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    there is only 2 versions of xp pro that i know of. there is xp pro and then there is xp pro windows media center which is a 2 disk set that has more bells and whistles than regular xp pro.it sounds to me theres a problem with the computer and not the operating system.the latest sp for xp is sp3.hope this helps.

3. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    All to do with the settings, I don't think I have heard of XP Pro not having habitation settings, that is weird.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows XP Media Center is a not a version of Windows XP Professional. It's another version of XP.

There's only one Windows XP Pro. Hibernate functionality is available based on chipset. If it's not available, either the chipset or graphics drivers aren't installed properly or the system doesn't support it.

I don't know what else you're trying to describe, but the Windows interface is customizable both natively and with applications. The fact that the systems don't look exactly alike doesn't mean they're different versions of Windows XP.

5. cci704

cci704 Thread Starter

Thanks doublehelix for the info. Your info makes sense.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice