1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro & W2K (with 98SE)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by griffinspc, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. griffinspc

griffinspc Thread Starter

OK, I'm ready to scream. :D

Machine 1> W2K Pro
    Machine 2> dual boot XP Pro and 98SE

Machine 1> name = griffin2k workgroup = home
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E6-CF-41-A1
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.198.1.12
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.198.1.12
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.198.1.12

Machine 2> name = griffinxp workgroup = home
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Asound 10/100M Based Fast Ethernet C
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2A-E6-02-EB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.198.1.13
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.198.1.12
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.198.1.12

Long story short, when booted to 98SE I can see the shared folders in 98Se from the W2K machine which is my main PC. I cannot see the W2K PC from the 98SE but I really don't care.

What I do care about is that neither the W2K machine 1 nor the XP machine 2 can see each other or ping each other. I've tried it with a new D-Link 10/100 switch and with a crossover cable. No luck.

I have the basics installed in this order:

Client for MS.....
    QoS Packet...
    File and Printer....
    TCP/IP

on both machines. Those are static IP's but I've tried auto too, no luck. I uninstalled both networks completely and rebuilt them so at this point ARRRRHHHH!!!!!!

I'm so rummy now that if you don't mind I'm calling it a day/night and hope to see a suggestion or two tomorrow. Now for the Gin!

PS: XP firewall disabled, ZA on XP stopped and set 192.198.1.12 as trusted zone and the same on the W2K machine. No luck.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You might want to use 192.168.X.X

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

While the subnet isn't typical, it shouldn't matter and does seem to work when booting to Win98.

When booting to XP, make sure the built-in firewall as well as any others are disabled or uninstalled. You can add them later after you get things working.

4. griffinspc

LwdSquashman, I'll try the new subnet tonight when I get home but....

5. griffinspc

I haven't given up or ignored those trying to figure this, one very long work day and a storm system bad enough last night that all PC's unplugged while telephone poles and trees blew though people's homes. Lots of power outages and surges. Just Fun!

6. griffinspc

OK, update. This has to be a problem with XP. I started from scratch so many times last night I dreampt (is that a word?) about it later. I can get machine 1 (W2K) to ping itself and ping the (W98) OS on machine 2 and (W98) can ping itself and (W2K) on machine 1.

I can map to anywhere from (W2K) to (W98) and (W98) would be able to do the same to (W2K) if I could remember what password (W908) is asking for to make the final connection. I've resolved that before but too much brain used last night to remember process. :confused:

Now to (XP) OS on machine 2. I blew it up all together and started over, it seems like a hundred times. I've tried ICS, no ICS, with NETBEUI, without NETBEUI. With static addresses. With auto generated addresses. Turned off all anti-virus and Zone Alarm and Kerio Firewalls as well as XP's own which has never been on.

Nothing, nada.

I checked all services that may have been stopped and found nothing irregular.

Status shows NO activity. Not one single packet moving however it shows connected at 100 Mbps.

Last setup: (if I can remember)

machine 2 XP = 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
    Machine 2 98 = 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.0
    machine 1 2K = 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0

Bob, I looked at your site and all seems in order. Any thoughts. :confused:

7. Rockn

Rockn

Why are you using the Win2K PC as a default gateway? Are you running ICS or something? Have you shared a folder outside of the admin share on XP and Win2K?

8. griffinspc

I had that set as one possible with ICS and of course didn't work. As far as the XP sharing I'm just new to XP so a small explanation for that would be helpful. New to XP is how I got in this mess. :D

9. griffinspc

Bob, Rockn,

Would one or both of you post the exact settings you'd use for an XP machine in particular, and better yet, 1 machine running W2K connected to 1 machine dual booting W98 and XP.

Both machines have dial out so there's no need for internet sharing. All I want is for both OS's on the dual boot machine and the W2K machine to move files back and forth.

All TCP/IP settings.

Thanks in advance, Griff

10. griffinspc

^^bump^^

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, make sure you turn of XP's firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networkcs can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

12. griffinspc

I am left with only one conclusion, some necessary service isn't running on XP since W2K can ping W98 and W98 can ping W2K. XP network status display shows OK but no packet in or out, even locally.

I completely uninstalled last night the TCP/IP, etc., put in the XP Pro CD and used the Wizard (I hate wizards) to re-install a home network. Same settings, NO LUCK.

I'm about ready to call it a year on this one and just swap files back and forth with my flash drive but God I hate to give up.

What DNS and if you'd do it what WINS settings would you use Bob. Also can you give me a list of all the required services that should be running?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice