Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP Pro Will Not Accept Licence Number

800 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Rollin' Rog 
#1 ·
Hi.

I have been asked to reload XP onto a Dell laptop.
The laptop has a licence sticker on the base, & I have been given a Win xp pro cd (sp2)
When I enter the serial no from the base of the laptop, I get an error that the number is wrong.
I have also tried to load XP Pro from one of my own cds, I have tried a first issue disk, sp1 disk, sp1a disk, and also an sp1a corporate disk, to find out if the correct xp disk was given to me. I got the same results.
Does anyone know why this serial number will not work? Or do I need to contact Microsoft.

Rob

#2 ·
There should be a selection that says "Telephone for Support" or something like that on the error screen....it prompts you to call Microsoft and get an activation code. (The screen gives you a bunch of numbers that you give to Microsoft over the phone.

Generally when this happens it means that license number is in use on another computer.

#4 ·
Hi.

As soon as I type in the number & click next, I am informed that the number is wrong. So
it doesnt get far enough to give me the MS contact screen, & the pc was working fine but slowly until the owner asked me to reformat & reload it to clear out all the junk their kids had installed.
Originally it was probably using one of Dells volume licence numbers. But that shouldnt stop it from accepting its own licenced number. Ive never had this problem in the past.
At the worst the operating system normally installs, then Microsoft has to be phoned to activate it. But not in this case.

Rob

#7 ·
jwinathome said:
So, there are no selections on that screen?

By the way, according to Microsoft, OEM licenses are only good for THAT computer, (the one with the sticker).
No, no selections whatsoever, all I can do is click ok on the error screen, then I can reenter the number, just to get the error again.

The oem sticker is obviously not been tampered with, so must be on the correct computer, and it is branded Dell.

I will now look on the link Bloodworx has posted

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.