1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro will not boot (hpdskflt.sys)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twesthoff, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twesthoff

twesthoff Thread Starter

I have a HP/Compaq NC6400 laptop that I just purchased (used) that has XP Pro on it. I put all the XP updates on it and installed Norton. Today it was updating Norton and I unplugged it and it must not have had any battery, because it went 'dead', i.e. update was abruptly stopped and machine was shut off.

When I plugged it in and tried to boot it back up, it ends up just giving me a blank/black screen. I tried starting it up in safe mode and the last driver I see it load is hpdskflt.sys.

I did run a hdd self test via the system configuration screen and that failed.

Suggestions as to what I can do?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If it was running on a/c power it doesnt matter if theres a battery or not in it.It sounds like you have a power supply problem of some sort.If you just purchased it were you able to check it out for any problems before you bought it in person or was this an internet purchase?If the harddrive failed the test more than likely its failing or has given up altogether.If you bought the computer locally did you get any kind of warranty with it?When i buy computers new or used i check them out to make sure theres no problems. If its used i always get at least a 90 day warranty and the places i deal with are more than happy to make things right if theres a problem.If you are able to get it running right i would suggest doing a reinstall to get rid of whatever the previous owner had in there and start fresh.At this point it sounds like you might need a new harddrive, a battery and possibly have the power supply checked.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

How to do a Manual SYSTEM RESTORE in XP

A. Connect your non-bootable hard drive to another computer, as a secondary drive or use a usb adapter or enclosure, If you can see your data on the drive, back it up Now, then follow the rest of these instructions.

B. Open Windows Explorer. Click on Tools|Folder Options|View. Check the box beside "Show hidden files and folders". Apply your change.

NOTE
    D: may not represent the hard drive you connected to your PC, it may be E: or F: or G:, it all depends on how many other drives (including cd/dvd) you have in your host PC, So substitute the appropriate drive letter in the instructions below.

C. Navigate to the D:\System Volume Information folder. You will see a folder named something like _restore{.........} the dots represent an alpha-numeric sequence.

In this folder you will see folders named RP0....RPnn. Find the one with the highest number.

These are your System Restore points. In the highest numbered folder you will see a folder named snapshot. In this folder are registry hive files which you need to recover your system:

_registry_user_.default

_registry_machine_security

_registry_machine_software

_registry_machine_system

_registry_machine_sam

D. Create a subdirectory; i.e, D:\Windows\TMP. Copy these files to the TMP subdirectory. Rename them to:

SECURITY

software

system

SAM

Note Be sure to lose the period (.) in the file named _registry_user_.default

E. Delete the files in the D:\windows\system32\config subdirectory with the same short names.

F. Copy the D:\windows\tmp files to the D:\windows\system32\config. subdirectory.

G.Put your drive back in its original system. Your system should start normally. If you get the same error repeat the procedure and choose another folder ( RPnn) (next highest number). You can repeat this procedure choosing lower RPnn numbers until you get it booting again.

If you are denied access to any folders you will have to take "Ownership" of the folders first. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

If this procedure fails to work you need to repair or reinstall Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice