1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro will not boot. No beep codes.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by A2A, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. A2A

A2A Thread Starter

Hi all, excellent forum. Here is my problem:
    I came home to my computer having a black screen. Usually the monitor is in power save mode and once i move the mouse i have to type in my password in XP to login again. This time the screen just stays black. I cut off power and restarted the machine and there are no beep codes and the monitor is black. The power light on the monitor is green to start, then turns yellow within 10-15 seconds.The power light on my case is on and the HDD indicator light shows activity. The problem is that this same thing has happened to my friends computer about 10 days ago, and we cant seem to figure out whats going on. We think it could be a virus in the BIOS, or something that has wiped the BIOS clean. Any suggestions and advice is welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

2. norton850

norton850

Would think that it is a coincidence that you and your friend are having similar problems. Check the cable and connection from your monitor to the video adapter. Reseat the video card if there is one. Do the same with the RAM. Post back if no luck.

3. A2A

A2A Thread Starter

Thanks norton850. I find it strange too that 2 machines have the same symptoms. Anyways, i havent tried anything on my computer yet, i'll start tomorrow, being the weekend and all :).
    On my friends computer, i swapped the AGP video card with a PCI one and and also replaced the RAM. Both the RAM and the video card came from an older working machine. We had no luck at all, same old black screen and no beep codes once the computer is powered up. We then took the hard disk and placed it in another machine and it boots up, so we know the drive works.
    Our guesses are that there was some kind of update for a video card driver that might have sent the machine to think that it's in power save mode when it is started ( I read something about this via a search on google). Our other guess is that we got hit with a virus that got into the BIOS or CMOS and wiped it out, hence no bios screen, and no beeps?
    Awaiting help desperately... Thanks

4. norton850

norton850

Basically when you turn your computer you can separate things into two parts. During the first part the computer performs some basic checks. If it is successful you will see something on your screen. This is called POSTing. No drives,operating system or drivers are needed for this. What you need are a properly functioning MB, RAM, CPU, video apatper and of course a monitor to actually see what is going on. Sometimes oddball things can happen like a drive or keyboard shorting something out, but that's unusual. The second part where Windows boots up obviously needs the HD with Windows on it.

So your problem is a preWindows one. You've started to do some troubleshooting. On the one machine you've replaced the video card and RAM, but that still leaves the rest of things. Probably stastically the power supply is the most common thing to fail.

There are many web sites that provide help. Here is one Foner Books

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/546723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice