1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro wont boot after bios change?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BadSanta, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BadSanta

BadSanta Thread Starter

Hi everyone, firstly I have an old (but still very spry) AMD 850 Duron 20gHd, award Bios with XP Pro Sp1 updated to Sp2 via updates.
    Well silly me was reading about overclocking (which I know nothing about), and decided to change a setting in the bios to Enable, ummm the " CPU temperature shut down" ?? not sure exactly what it was called but something very close to that. When I hit "Y Enter" the screen went black and thats how its been ever since. Ive tried tapping delete on startup and the XP CD but nothing .. just the black screen! Any sugestions on what I can try? Thanx

Ps I've since read a number of reports refering to AMD chip tempretures being misread by bios's, sounds related maybe??

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Pull the battery (little silver disc thing) out of the motherboard for 5 minutes, then replace it. That will reset the BIOS to default settings.

Scorp.

3. BadSanta

BadSanta Thread Starter

Hey thanyou for the quick reply! I dead set thought that was going to fix it, but I'm now at a loss what to think. I took the battery out for 10 or 15mins but still no change. When I hit start button I can hear the cpu do a very short run of a second or 2 then it stops. Should I leave out the battery longer perhaps?

4. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

or use the jumper on your motherboard to reset the CMOS to default settings...

just read your motherboard manual..

5. BadSanta

BadSanta Thread Starter

I dont have a manual so will try and look it up! Thanx :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice