1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP pro won't install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by elnnan, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Hi and Happy New Year
    I am trying to re install xp pro, I have reformatted etc, the install hangs when it gets to the Network installing, 32 mins left. I have disconnected the modem, have also tried reconnecting the modem to the network card and restarted the install, same problem occurred at the same point of install. Have tried several times, can anyone help with this problem. Please !
    Elnnan

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

I don't understand what you mean by "reconnected the modem to the network card..." . Remove the modem (PCI I assume) and make sure you do not have any USB devices other than a mouse or keyboard, if you have one, plugged in. Reformat the drive and run setup again and see if XP installs. XP may be hanging on finding a driver for your modem or your LAN but still should install. You can install the PCI modem after XP is installed. Of course I am also assuming this is a Desktop PC and not a laptop???

3. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Yes its a desktop pc, with cable modem, which is connected to the lan card/ethernet, I have made sure that nothing is plugged in only what is necessary ie keyboard and mouse, still hangs at network install, have even left it running overnight. The only reason I reconnected the modem to the lan card was just to try something different on abt the 4th attempt, however that didn't work either, hence my post on here, not sure if I explained it properly. Will try again...

Elnnan

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Ok I understand your problem. It's OK to have the LAN plugged into the modem. Usually, when XP hangs on install, it is due to some hardware not being properly detected. Were you having problems earlier and that is why you formatted and are doing an install? Are you sure your XP CD is clean of scratches?

Also, enter SETUP (the BIOS) and check the settings there.

5. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Yes unfortunately the pc wouldn't boot, I tried getting into safe mode and tried to do a restore, nothing worked, hence the last resort of reformatting and clean install. Still cannot work out what happened to cause the problem in the first place. Yes cd is clean of scratches. Not sure what to look for in the BIOS, I know only to change to boot from cd. Is there something else I should do there?
    Elnnan

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

What brand of hard drive are you using? IDE or SATA?

7. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Sorry I have no idea whether its IDA or Sata, all I know that it was fitted 2 years ago by a local company, all I can tell you is that its a Seagate 80 gb. Sorry I can't give more info. Could you advise me if there is a way of finding out.
    Thanks
    Elnnan

8. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

I have looked at the Seagate website and looking at the setup of the hardrive I would say mine is IDE.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Test your hardware before you try the install again. Download and run a ram tester; do the same for the hd. Both of these will run from bootable media ie either CD drive or floppy; no need for an os to be installed.

Once you are sure the hw is ok, we can try the install again.

10. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Have already ran a memory test and there were no errors. I have PC Beginner which helps run tests, however, I now seem to be stuck in a loop, and can't get out of it, to run anymore tests.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you use something like memtest86 or doc memory?

Use the hd mfg's utility for checking the drive. You will need to know who mfg your hd ie maxtor, WD, seagate, etc.

12. Emtronics

Emtronics

Ok everything aside, have you ran the format command and wiped the HD clean? Or, is this an attempt to re-install the opearting system by simply booting off the CD and running setup? If this is the later, then you might be infected by a boot virus or something in that line. You should be able to delete the partition(s) and wipe the drive using the "Quick NTFS" method. Re-ceate any partitions or let Windows create one partition. Then run Setup to install Windows.

13. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

I have downloaded Seagate diagnostic tools, ran it and it came up with one Test Failed NTFS 80 gb I am running memtest86 3.2 at the moment so far no errors. Will post again if any appear. I did run set up from the cd and followed all the instructions, I have also ran the Format from there too, as I can't from anywhere else. I have also downloaded a tool from Seagate that wipes the hard drive not sure if I should use it, if all else fails I will try it, nothing ventured nothing gained.:) I will try once more using ur instructions though, from the cd.
    Thanks for all your help so far, its much appreciated.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If your drive failed the diagnostic test, it is a waste of time to keep trying to install an os. You can try zero filling the drive and then test again, however I put little faith in hardware that has failed.

I think you have found your problem.

15. Emtronics

Emtronics

As crjdriver has posted, if the drive failed a test, then you are done. At this point, you have nothing to lose zeroing the drive and trying again. Seagates are normally the best but as with anything, failures do happen. I believe your hardware problem is indeed your hardrive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice