1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro wont play games

Discussion in 'Games' started by PCfixer, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

I've just upgraded to XP Pro from 98SE because there were too many problems with it networking to my PC downstairs. Once upgraded the two PC's connected just fine and the XP OS environment was very stable indeed, everything works better than ever......except all my games
    Uninstalled the NVidea Detonator drivers, rebooted, no change, everytime I go to play a game the intro loads and the game plays for about 10 secs then the PC just either turns off or goes back to the desktop or lock up.
    Its an old machine with a TBird AMD 900 and 512 SD RAM and a PNY Verto Geforce 4 4200ti AGP card. But everything played just fine before the upgrade...so what happened.
    Someone told me it may be a confliction with the MB chipset and to install the 4 in 1 driver from veatech.com, but they didnt say how to find out which chipset I have onboard.
    I also nitice there is a small amount of V Sync over the monitor that wasn't there before, relevent, maybe.
    Any help that anyone could offer would be good, just want to get back to playing on the LAN
    Thanks in advance, and I will reply to mailers ....cheers

2. suesman

suesman

What's the Brand name & Model# of the MB? We could tell you what chipset you have if we knew that. :D

Or you could download Aida32 to find out all kinds of neat crap about your puter.

3. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

My MB is a Soltek SL-75KAV/-X, socket A Mainboard, VIA Apollo KT133A series
    I have the manual which came with the board and it says I have a KT133A VT8363A ?????
    I've been back to www.viatech.com which was the site my friend said go to, but I can't find the 4 in 1 driver he thinks may help, I hope all this information is of use and thanks for trying to help
    Dave

4. suesman

suesman

Seems the VIA Hyperion 4in1 is what you need.

I also found a list of stuff on your motherboard.

I'm still trying to research your problem. All of my games play the same on XP as they done on 98se. Seems odd though. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge than I have, will come along & offer a bit more insite. :D

5. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

Suesman, I think your right, I've just waded through all the text on Hyperion 4 in 1, and it does say that it will only make changes where it finds compatability, I'm on my other PC at the moment, but i'll try the drivers after tea and see what happens.
    Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens

6. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

Loaded the 4 in 1 drivers and it made no diferrence, my man says to put on the detonator drivers back on now, try that next, then I think its format time!

7. PCfixer

PCfixer Thread Starter

No change at all, I'm well lost, any ideas of what to try next?

8. Aegothis

Aegothis

There is alot of games that will require some help in xp. What games? I have alot of links on my site, I have gotten games to run on xp. Look for utilities like Dos Box. There's also some tweaking in the Properties. Right click on the game icon, pick compatibility mode/windows 98, and also go to the memory settings and try different amounts. Turn off the close on execute (a checkmark, I think that's what it's called). That will make the window stay open so you can see what issue is reporting. Sometimes games run simply by opening the command prompt (Start/Accessories/command promt ((looks like c:\ in black)) and create a batch file (type "edit game.bat") and put in the lines (for example)
    c:\
    cd doom
    doom.exe

http://my.core.com/~candy24c/gvr.htm

Also check this out for sound issues:
    http://www.scummvm.org/

If I remember right, there's a program just for the sound included, run that it helps.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice