1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP PRO x64 freezing when doing a "Search".

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by knightrider56, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knightrider56

knightrider56 Thread Starter

I have tried a couple of times to do a Search under the Start and the Search starts but then everything freezes, mouse arrow freezes, cant do Ctrl,Alt, Del , or anything. Total frozen. I have to reboot.

Now so far it has happened twice in a row when I went looking for MMC to do a project for a college course. Could it be just a program glitch or do you think it could be a hidden virus trying to keep me from seeing it with the search? Or Is it a known problem with XP PRO x64 Sp2?

This is my computer set up. It was home built so its not a name brand;

OS Win Pro x64 Sp2
    all latest windows security updates installed.
    Browser Mozilla4.0,or I.E.Ver.8.0.6001.18702
    Adobe Flash 10,3,183.5 .
    AMD Athlon ll x3 450 3.21GHz, 5.50 GB of ram.
    2 DVD Lite-on burners
    1multi chip reader/USB port installed.
    1 IDE hard drive
    3 Sata hard drives
    Gigabyte mother board for AMD AM2/3 chips with dual bios.
    avast! Anti Virus latest update for program and definitions.

Any Ideas ?
    Help ! :confused:

PS: I have not had a problem with XP PRO x64 before this and I have been running it for a few years now. Stable and Reliable platform. While my other computer is running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and its been a pain.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may well be an infection. Unusual problems often are. You could try Agent Ransack for a manual and very complete search in the meantime. You may even like it.

I'd try checking the disk for errors first. Run chkdsk /f on your system drive.

If you just type "mmc.exe" in your Run box or a command window, it will start the console. Not sure why you are searching for it, anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice