1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cjbtaylor, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

I have set up the connection between my laptop and home pc, i am able to swap files no problem, but i cannot log onto the internet or collect my e-mail on my laptop whilst going through my home pc, have i missed something as winmx is logging on ok, i only have windows xp firewall set and it worked fine last week??

This is very strange

Please help:confused: :confused:

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

It looks like something has changed on your host PC.

Disable the WinXP Firewall and make sure that "Internet Connection Sharing" is correct.

If all else fails, then run Windows System Restore! It lives under "System, Tools" on the start menu! Roll the system back to when all was working and see what happens!

Good Luck!

ST

3. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

sorry but ive tried them and it still does not want to play ball with the internet or e-mail

4. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

Anymore takers on this one as im still having problems, ps when i click onto a website in favourites or the home page it says at the bottom found website but then hangs and finally says page cannot be displayed:confused: :confused:

5. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Is your laptop running XP, too?

6. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

yes, both xp pro

everything works except internet and e-mail

7. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

With XP, when you enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), your existing TCP/IP connections on the network may be lost and needs to be re-established. (See Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314066">314066</A>.)

Are you by chance using AOL? If so, see <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321644">here.</a>

If you are not using AOL, and resetting your TCP/IP didn't help, I think you may need to re-run your Network Setup Wizard. Here are the instructions from Microsoft's Knowledge Base:

"<b>Run Windows XP Network Setup Wizard</b>

The final step in setting up a home network is to run Windows XP Network Setup Wizard. You’ll need to do this first on the ICS host computer, then on each of the client computers. The wizard guides you through the following steps:

- Configuring your network adapters.
    - Configuring all of your computers to share one Internet connection.
    - Naming each computer.
    - Automatically sharing the Shared Files folder with the computers on the network.
    - Automatically sharing printers that are connected to computers on the network.
    - Installing a firewall.
    - Installing network bridging components.
    - Installing Internet Connection Sharing Discovery and Control components.

<b>To run Network Setup Wizard on the Windows XP ICS host computer:</b>

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Set up or change your home or small office network.

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen. Designate this computer (the host) as the one sharing its Internet connection.

After running the wizard on your ICS host computer, run it on the client computers by performing the following steps:

<b>To run Network Setup Wizard on the clients:</b>

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM.

On the menu that appears, click Perform Additional Tasks.

On the next menu that appears, click Setup home or small office networking.

If you do not own a Windows XP CD-ROM, you can copy Network Setup Wizard onto a floppy disk while running the wizard on the ICS host computer. Then use the floppy disk to run the wizard on the client computers. The floppy disk is created when you run Network Setup Wizard.

If you ran Network Setup Wizard and did not create a floppy disk, you’ll need to run the wizard again to create the floppy disk. While running the wizard, make sure you use the same settings as when you ran the wizard the first time.

<b>To run Network Setup Wizard from a floppy disk:</b>

Insert the network setup disk into the computer you want to network.

Double-click My Computer.

Double-click 3½ Floppy A:.

Double-click netsetup.exe.

The wizard tests to make sure everything on your network is functioning correctly."

Hope some of the above is useful. :) Good luck!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice