1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP problem connecting to working Linksys wireless router

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Davidjudylee, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davidjudylee

Davidjudylee Thread Starter

I connect to the internet on my Mac MacBook fine. My PC runs both Windows 7 and XP.
    Win 7 connects fine but XP does not seem to see the router and I get a cable unplugged message. Can't be a Linksys router problem as Mac and Win 7 work fine. Any ideas? Couln Win 7 be preventing the connection?

2. kendaves

kendaves

Make sure that you have the software that came with your router installed and that it is xp compatable. Does wireless connection show up in network connections in xp control panel?

3. Davidjudylee

No wireless connection shows

4. Davidjudylee

Router is XP compatible have hsed it successfully on this computer before hard disk failure.

5. Davidjudylee

Don't seem to have any software for connecting to Router Linksys WRT54GS. Original connection was by telephone help - seemingly no longer available.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Here might be some things you could check:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

If no joy there,then the output of an:
    ipconfig /all from the xp boot might shed some light on this.
    Also,I have a wrt54g and,as I recall there was no software for installation.Pretty much plug,configure and go.
    Also,go to the pc makers web site and download any more current chipset and network adapter drivers for your make and model.

7. Davidjudylee

Network Adapters show -
    Other Devices - Yellow ?
    Network Controller - Yellow ?
    PCI Simple Communications Controller Yellow ?
    Network Controller and PCI Simple Network Controller both show drivers not installed in properties. Both show Code 28.
    It seems that this is probably the difficulty but how do I go about installing the correct drivers without an internet connection in XP?

All services you mentioned are started and show either manual or Automatic.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Great question.
    I would use a working connection or another pc,go to the pc maker's web site and download:
    for your model, drivers :
    Chipset driver
    Network adapters
    and
    Any of the devices from above that show an error.

Export the downloads to disk,etc and then load them onto the problem pc.
    There are probably other ways to do it,but that's the way I do it.
    Others can probably give other methods.
    Will not be near a pc today,but you will get plenty of help from other techs here.

9. Davidjudylee

Thanks for the advice. I've visited the Intel website and although I can find the chipset,
    I can find no driver for a Network Controller for an Intel 845G nor for a PCI Controller.
    Am I looking in the wrong place or for the wrong thing?

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Need to go to the PC maker's web site and download the apprpriate drivers,including chipset for your model # ,including network adapters(ethernet/lan and wireless)

:D

11. Davidjudylee

My PC was built by a company no longer in business. The Motherboard is an Intel 845G - I can find the chipset on the Intel website for download but cannot find either an Ethernet adapter or Wireless adapter or the Intel 845G. I'm not sure if I'm looking for the right thing or indeed inthe right place. Any further ideas?

12. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK,That is a real drag.
    Did this connection ever work ?
    Is this a wired or wireless connection?
    Before we get crazy here.
    Try this :
    Stack repair for XP and Vista.
    Courtesy of Johnwill of the Networking forum.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following netsh commands..

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.
    See if that helps.

Then,.If the chipset driver id matches then,I might create a system restore point,download the chipset driver and see if that changes things.

Look again at device manager,what exactly is listed for the network adapters both lan and wireless.Like mine says Intel wireless pro 39xxxx for model #,
    Also at this point jot down that driver details(version and date)for your future reference.
    You may have no other option now but to go directly to that manufacturer 's site and see if they have a current driver for that adapter.
    Another thing I have done in the past is just google the info (make and model of adapter and see if you can come up with a site that would have drivers for it.
    Also from the failing pc,let's see this:
    From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL As noted below,just give me for now the output from this command.

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
    For the time being,just give me the Ipconfig /all output.This will tell us how the laptop views it's network and may give us some more clues.
    I know that this seems like a lot of stuff,but just take it one at a time,probably stack repair and ipconfig results and we can go from there.Maybe we can make some sense out of it.

13. Davidjudylee

Thanks for the help. Yes the wireless connection did work before hard disk failure. On the new disk I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro. I also divided the disk and run Win 7 on the same computer. Win 7 connects to the internet via my wireless router but not XP pro. Using XP pro seems to have deleted or simply not recognised the drivers for internet connection. I'll try your suggestions later. Thanks again.

14. pedroguy

pedroguy

Definitely sounds like a wireless adapter driver issue.
    Just one other thought.
    If the wireless adapter does not show up in XP device manager,it probably will show up on the windows 7 side.Assuming they are using the same wireless hardware adapter,you should be able to get the hardware specific info you need from that entry then search for the XP driver version.

15. Davidjudylee

That sounds like a great idea - thanks! Would never have thought of it myself.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice