1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP problem: connection has limited or no connectivity

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Z-Ender, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Z-Ender

Z-Ender Thread Starter

My problem is that my laptop(Toshiba satellite A15-S129) running windows xp home will only let me surf the web when my external hard drive (Acom data 120GB) is turned on. This wouldn't be a big deal if this was a desktop computer, but i need to be able to surf without the hard drive connected. I noticed the problem a short time after I installed SP2 but not
    sure if it is the cause, most likely the external hard drive was connected when I installed SP2. I've tried a restore point to before i had SP2 installed it didn't help. I tried just removing SP2 that also didn't work, then tried reinstalling it with no luck.

This isn't the only problem whenever I try browsing some of my files in explorer it crashes or if I open Microsoft word it eventually crashes too.

What info do you need to help me out?

2. bhariyanto

bhariyanto

Hi,
    I am having the same problem, kind of...
    My Ethernet connection won't go through the local network. It has exclamation point that says" limited connectivity or no connection" . I checked in the network connection and it says connected to my local network/router, but I can't connect to the internet.
    I turned off the firewall (i'm using SP2) and uninstalled the network adapter and installing it for few times, still no luck.
    I uninstalled and re-installed TCP/IP still no luck.
    I was able to connect to the internet before I installed the SP2. But i read another post that going back to the restore point before SP2 didn't help.

Any input will be greatly appreciated...thank's..

3. damr

damr

Dear forum members:

I'm new at the forum, here is what I did when that message popped up in my comp.
    After I downloaded and installed SP2:

1) First I turned off the Windows firewall and then ran the setup program for my ADSL modem again, finally I restarted my computer.

Hope this help
    damr :cool:

4. Z-Ender

Z-Ender Thread Starter

My problem seems to be linked to my external hard drive. Besides I connect to the modem through a router. When the hard drive is off it says "connection has limited or no connectivity might not be able to access the internet or some network resources." I can print to a printer on the network but cannot access the internet. I tried the repair option and it says it could not finish repair because it cant renew my IP address. And for some reason I am able to renew my IP address when i turn on my external hard drive.

5. bhariyanto

bhariyanto

Hi,
    I had similar problems with you. I'm not sure if you can solve it using this link (microsoft site) but i fixed 3 computer with similar problem. One comp had the ethernet icon with the message "limited or no connectivity, the others just won't connect to internet. I checked the LAN, and they were all connected, it just that it won't go pass the LAN network to connect to the internet. I played around with TCP/IP and re-installed them as well as the network card drivers. None worked.

After i did the instruction on microsoft's wesite, all the machines worked fines.
    Hope this help..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571#appliesto

6. punku10

punku10

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice