1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Problem with MSCONFIG

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stech1, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stech1

stech1 Thread Starter

I was helping someone whose windows XP machine was having performance issues. It was loaded down with spyware and viruses.

While trying to limit what ran when Windows started, I ran MSCONFIG. The following message appeared:

"System Configuration Utility cannot read the Config.sys file because an error occurred.

The System Reported error is: the system cannot find the path specified."

It repeated this message for Autoexec.bat, system.ini and win.ini. After the error messages, I had MSCONFIG running, but it only had two tabs - General and Startup.

I did a search for config.sys (and Autoexec.bat, system.ini and win.ini) and sure enough it did not exist. I used Notepad to create blank text documents and named them as the missing files and placed them in C:\windows\system32. This did not fix the problem.

Here is the path statement:

"c:\windows\system32; %systemroot%\system32; %systemroot%; %systemroot%\system32\wbem; c:\program files\common files\adaptec shared\system"

Two questions:

1. Any Ideas how to restore the missing files without reinstalling windows xp?

2. How important are the missing files? Now that we have removed the viruses and spyware, the system seems to be working well.

2. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

run sfc /scannow maybe they will come back

3. stech1

stech1 Thread Starter

Tried it but it doesnt bring then back. Thanks anyway

4. dai

dai

do a repair

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice