1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Problems? I Need Advice

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bombedinbp, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bombedinbp

bombedinbp Thread Starter

Hey people! First Post! To the point, my brother has an Inspiron 8100 running XP with a pentium 3. He doesn't use it much so theres really not a lot on it. When he turned it on today it was running incredibly slow. So slow that it took 15 mins from choosing the user to reaching the desktop! I tried to do a System Restore but when it got to the point where it said the computer has to restart the thing froze up and would not shut down. I waited 30 mins. Our nephew had the computer for a couple of weeks but I dont think he even used it much. Since there isnt much on the thing would it be best to just reinstall XP? Or is it more likely a hardware problem and I should contact Dell. I can't use his computer to do it because it is running soooo slow. I guess all I really need to know is if reinstalling is the best bet. Thanks ahead of time!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If the data is not important, you will probably spend less time reinstalling than troubleshooting . .

If you decide to reinstall XP, Prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals are disconnected from the notebook.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...install/en/index?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

This is a good guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet you should enable the XP firewall.

An alternative would be to attempt a repair . . I have had mixed results but you could try. This is a good guide to performing a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Have fun and good luck . . wrs

3. bombedinbp

bombedinbp Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply and great articles. I finally got the thing to do disk cleanup and defrag and now its doin' a little better i'g gonna try some more fixes before i reinstall XP but if they don't work u've given me a great start on the reinstall. THANKS

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice