1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Problems - Slow, DVD, Sound, USB

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ssaver, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssaver

ssaver Thread Starter

I went out of town and came home to my computer having some serious problems. My kids really must have done a number on it!

The DVD drive won't recognize a DVD, but recognizes CD's without problems.
    I upgraded the driver to the latest NEC2500 driver (was using v1.05 now using v1.0A) and it still won't read a DVD when I insert it into the drive. It spins up the DVD disk when I insert it into the drive, but it comes up with a "disk not found error". However, with CD's, the autostart works without problems.

Computer is running dog slow!
    The computer was running fine when I left, now it is sooooo slow! It takes forever to boot and to shut down. It is also slow when I launch the internet or try to launch other programs as well. I installed Kaspersky Internet Security as a protection against viruses, malware, spyware, etc. and it found a bunch of stuff, but it is still running soooooooo slow.

In addition, the Sound no longer works, nor does my USB hub no longer works

Something happened while I was gone and I don't know what to do.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does System Restore still work?

Start > run msconfig > launch System Restore -- and choose a date before you left.

It might be best to do this from a Safe Mode boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice