1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Kelgali, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelgali

Kelgali Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a custom built computer with an Asus a8n-sli premium mobo, amd 3800x2, xfx 7900gt, 1.5GB OCZ value series RAM, an OCZ gameXstream 700 watt power supply (a couple weeks old) and a 250GB WD sata hard drive which is all running on XP home SP2. So here's my problem: as of the last few months my computer has been getting less and less stable and i get more and more graphical annomilies in games (i tried to reinstall drivers and the works, but it didnt work). So, to try and fix both problems, i wiped my hard drive yesterday and re-installed windows along with world of warcraft and battlefield 2, the 2 main games that I play along with all of the drivers and MS office 2003 (note: while installing XP it did come up with a few errors saying that so and so file couldn't be found, i tried the retry button but it didn't work, so i was forced to hit ignore). Everything was going relatively smoothly until my computer started rebooting on its own. What will happen is that there will be a quiet little clicking noise, then the computer will reboot. I know some stuff about computer troubleshooting, so first thing that comes to mind is a problem with the power supply, but it is almost brand new and has way more wattage than i need, so that couldnt be the problem. Also, it reboots on its own, its not like it just shuts down. Then when i would reboot windows, it would come up with the usual send error message, which i always will, and it says that it cant find this error. The only explanation that is given is that windows encountered an error that it couldnt recover from, and was forced to reboot. This used to happen occasionally before i wiped my hard drive, but never with this frequency. Now, it has gotten worse. I tried to play BF2 (where the graphical annomilies still show up) and when trying to get into a server it stopped responding, but i could move the mouse. So after waiting about 5 minutes, i manually rebooted the computer. So when i tried to reboot, before it even got to the windows loading screen, it rebooted on its own again. After that, it came up with the screen saying that windows failed to reboot, how would you like to boot. I tried all the options, safe mode, boot normally, boot from last known working settings, etc. All that i can do is go into the BIOS, but theres nothing in the BIOS that i know of that would fix any problems (i do know what im doing mostly with BIOS settings). This computer is not overclocked in any way. I tried calling microsoft support, but it was either pay $30 for 'proffesional' support, or look around more on the internet, so you can see what i chose. The only re-assuring thing is that all products in the computer except 1 of the 512 sticks of RAM, the disk drive, and the floppy drive were purchased from newegg.com and can be RMA'd for replacements for free if the problem seems to be the mobo or something else. The copy of windows that i have was bought off of the internet from some random person (the copy is perfectly legal as far as i know) and is a dell OEM copy, but it works fine with custom built computers. Please help me :confused:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tested the memory in the computer? Because it sounds like faulty or incompatible RAM to me.

http://www.memtest.org/

3. Kelgali

Kelgali Thread Starter

Well, i'd use the program if i could, but I am currently on a laptop because i can't even boot up windows on my computer. I havn't had any previous problems with the RAM, here's the links to the RAM and the product numbers (i originally purchased just 1 stick, then later purchased another 2, they are otherwise the same RAM and I have not had any previous problems. The 1 stick was purchased over a year ago now so it can no longer be replaced, but the other 2 can still be replaced):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227037 product #: OCZ400512V25

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227039 product #: OCZ4001024V25DC-K

4. Kelgali

Kelgali Thread Starter

i think i might have found my problem:
    http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/9483

it makes perfect sense, the only stuff i installed were WoW and BF2, and for WoW of course i had to download a crapload of patches and same for BF2.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice