1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by calibretto, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

well i recently installed xp and i've decided that it's no where near the money nor the trouble i've been through for it. for about a week it's a great OS, but after that it seems a lot of things go wrong.

this past week my msn messenger disappeared. it no longer loads on startup. i try getting to it thru the start menu and my computer thinks about it for a minute and then apparently decides against opening it.

another problem is with internet explorer. it'll go to any website i want it to... except for hotmail. well, it'll go there, but it freezes once it gets there. every time! i don't understand this.

also, my cd-r/rw drive doesn't want to record audio cd's now. it get an error message saying that my drive is to slow for the set speed. my drive is 8x4x32. i've set the speed all the way down to 1 and it still says my drive is too slow. it'll burn data cd's, but not audio. i don't get it.

can any of you guys explain these strange occurences in xp? i never once had these problems w/ 98.

if this is the wrong forum, i'm sorry. thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.

calibretto

2. Trboy13

Trboy13

umm, you might want to scan for viruses. Thats about the only think i can think of that would cause so many problems.

But as for the messeger program..... go to start, Run, and type in msconfig and hit enter. This will bring up a screen, go to the startup tab. Make sure there is a checkbox next to msmsgr. If its not there, try starting messenger and go into the options and make sure it has start on startup enabled. If that doesn't fix it. try putting a shortcut to it in the startup folder in the programs list on the start menu.

as to the hotmail and cdrw problemb, i don't know. You could try to donwnload the newest drivers for the cdrw, but if it worked before, i don't know why it wouldn't work now, unless their is a virus.

3. aubry

aubry

hi there,
    what burning application are you using?

4. calibretto

trboy13 - my question is why would messenger just suddenly not load on startup when it's always loaded before? i'm not at home right now, so i can't run msconfig, but i will once i get there. and as for starting messenger and fixing the problem there? that's a big no. messenger doesn't even start when i open it thru start/programs. like i said, my computer thinks about it for a bit and then for some reason decides against it. hopefully msconfig will work and fix it tho. thanks for the help.

aubry - i tried using nero, musicmatch jukebox, and easy cd-creator all. none of them would work, all telling me that my cd-r drive was too slow for the selected speed.

calibretto

5. StephanSt

StephanSt

Wasn't there a bug fix for audio CD burning problems? Did you install all possible Updates for XP?

Try running "Windows Update", selected all available patches, download and install them.

I hope this will help!

Stephan

6. aubry

aubry

there is an XP fix for Adaptec Easy CD Creator!

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

8. calibretto

i did have the updates set to download automatically and then notify me when they were ready to install. but messenger broke like this twice before. i try re-downloading and i get a message saying that i already have msn messenger on my system.

and as for the adaptec fix... well, i did that too. but i wasn't very pleased. my burner still didn't work and i went from the full version of 4 to a demo of 5. i thought i was gonna download some drivers or something that allowed 4 to work in xp, but boy was i wrong. talk about a rip-off.

oh and i tried msconfig, and that didn't help. i've come to the conclusion that xp has to be the worst operating system on the planet.

calibretto

9. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Sounds like my first experience with 98 after using the original 95.
    Win98 crashed almost daily until I got the bugs worked out.

Easy CD Creator 4 will have major problems with XP. It can cause problems even outside of the burning software. 4 can even cause your system to become unstable to the point of not being able to even restart. What it does is replace key system files with its own version, and those versions are not compatable with XP, which can lead to instability.

With messenger try removing it before running the installer. You will need to check the following link to do a remove http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=487

10. calibretto

ok, well i did the uninstall of messenger and for some reason that fixed my hotmail problem. i swear computers have a mind of their own. i'm gonna try and reinstall messenger now and see if the problems continue. thanks, guys, for the help.

calibretto

11. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Glad that helped.

If the hotmail problem occurs again, try this fix. What happened is that when you go to hotmail, messenger tries to load itself, and since you were having problems with messenger, it hung when you went to hotmail.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=582

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice