1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Processes list not there

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by SuperSquirel, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SuperSquirel

SuperSquirel Thread Starter

A friend of mine is having problems with their pc, first was internet explorer not work, although that was just a case of spyware. But on trying to solve the problem i discovered the windows xp processes list wasn't displaying (screenshot here: http://www.andysroms.com/processes.jpg).
    Another problem was that neither AVG Anti virus or zone alarm would load up so it lead me to thinking there was a virus present. i tried housecall online scan but when trying to open the page in Internet Explorer the window just closed.
    does anyone know of any particular viruses that follow these characteristics? i've searched the internet for a while and could find nothing.

2. $teve

$teve

Do this:
    go to http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.....
    Unzip it to its own folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show other issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

If you have anything disabled by MSConfig or any other startup manager, please re-enable it before scanning to post.

;)

3. SuperSquirel

hijack this wont load, when double clicking it it just does the same as AVG, nothing happens or a small window flashes up and disapears before you can even see what it is.

4. e_buddha

e_buddha

5. SuperSquirel

i already had one that works in command prompt. image of running processes here: http://andysroms.clans-uk.co.uk/hosted/techguy/list.jpg

i also have a program called startup which displays every (or atleast most things) that load when the pc starts up. i've got a screenshot of the ones of main interest, a couple of the other tabs in the program gave nothing suspicious at all. http://andysroms.clans-uk.co.uk/hosted/techguy/startup.jpg
    the things i'm suspicious about are the top one running beauty.exe, the supastatus one, P2P Networking and possibly the bottom one which runs iexplore.exe, internet explorer doesn't actually load on boot, and yet when searching for the file only 2 come up, both of which exist on my own PC and i'm completely free of all spyware/viruses and other cack.
    i got the full paths for p2p networking and supastatus if they're of use (since they can't be seen in the image)

C:\WINDOWS\System32\P2P Networking\P2P Networking.exe /AUTOSTART

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\Status.exe

6. e_buddha

e_buddha

Can you tell the memory usage of each process? Please try the process explorer I recommended and sort the processes by name. Look for any that do not have a description, and check the memory usage and cpu utilization of each.

As far as I can tell beauty.exe is either a screen-saver or theme/theme manager of somesort, and at anyrate it is highly unlikely that this needs to load at startup.

7. SuperSquirel

same happens with that as happens with hijack this, just closes instantly :(
    the only thing in the program i used that used processor was idle, and EXPLORER.EXE had 2.

adaware keeps returning vx2.Betterinternet, about 20 of them. even when they're removed, apparently 2 thigns can't be removed, then about 10mins after pc reboots the internet dies and so does the virus scan that i found that works.
    i found on adaware forums to use hijack this to remove vx2 if adaware doesn't do it, but since hijack this wont run i dont know how to remove it.

8. e_buddha

e_buddha

9. SuperSquirel

stinger wouldn't work in safe mode. i found a solution for vx2.Betterinternet, however its for xp pro or win 2000.

the solution is here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=160275&postcount=4

is there something similar in xp home to the following?:
    Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Local Security Policy & Under Local Profiles

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does the process list show up in Safe Mode? There won't be as many but you should see the basics.

Also if you can download, try Trend's Micro Damage Cleanup utility. I believe it can be run in Safe Mode if necessary.

See under "free fix and removal tools" in this post:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=663486

11. SuperSquirel

My friend has decided to just format rather than spend several more hours looking for solutions. Thanks for all the help given to us :)

12. e_buddha

e_buddha

Rather than format, why not just try a repair. It could very well be just a corrupted Windows file.

13. e_buddha

e_buddha

Also, I am assuming that since the other programs are closing that it won't let you open the registry. I would rename registry.exe in %windir% to registry.com and the from the run dialog open registry.com

Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    and check for anything odd.
    Do the same in the following keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Let me know how that goes.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice