1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Product Activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by strangerdoom, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. strangerdoom

strangerdoom Thread Starter

Hi all,

I understand that XP requires product activation. What if i registered already and few months down the road, my hard disk crashes. What i heard from my friend is that after re-installing
    XP, it requires me to re-activate again but to my knowledge internet product activation can be done only once.

anyone know what's the proper procedure?

please advise

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

you would need to call Microsoft at the Number listed on the activation screen & tell them that you had to reinstall, or you replaced the hard drive, or whatever it was that made tyou reinstall.

They will give you a code to put in.

3. adambailey

adambailey Guest

just call them and it sounds to me you want to know if you can use someone elses code! we dont ansaw ilegal questions here!!
    hey its a rule

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Replacement of a Hard Disk will not cause activation to fail. You would need to change up to 5 different pieces of hardware before it would fail.

Activation can be done over the internet as many times as you need, with no failure to activate provided some basic parts are not changed. (Motherboard and Network card are major items I believe, and if both were changes at once you might have a problem)

I have re-activated after HDD failures several times.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I formatted one from scratch, and it wanted it activated again. This is XP-Home, and I used the same number, it's glued to the top of the case. :)

6. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

actually i read some where that after 180 days the server that handles the activation of xp resets its delets the activation of a cd key and you can agian activate it over the net if you reinstall. i can confirm that this is true because i did it at least once

7. kben1028

kben1028

You don't have to wait 180 to reactivate. I had activated my XP twice within 2-3 days after I had HD probs. With all my hardware unchanged, just the HD formatted, it activated without a problem.

8. strangerdoom

strangerdoom Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Thanks for all your valuable advise.

what happens now is that my friend sold me an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro sometimes back. Now i change to a new motherboard. So reformat HDD and reinstall XP. I cannot activate through internet. i called microsoft, they requested me to fax a copy of invoice to them which i don't have one.

The copy of the XP is not registered in the first place. It is 100% geuinene.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice