XP Product key

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lola2001

My daughters friend somehow erased her entire hard drive. So this morning my daughter brought her laptop to me to see if I could fix it.

I reinstalled windows xp and used the product key on the sticker at the bottom of the laptop but it is saying CD key you entered is not valid.

To my daughters knowledge her friend has never reinstalled windows xp before, so why doesn't the code work?

Who do I need to call and what information do I need to know?

Thanks.

Did you use the recovery disks provided with the laptop to reinstall?

If so, you should contact the manufacturer of the laptop for advice.

If, on the other hand, you used another XP disk to reinstall this is probably why
it's not being recognised as valid.

DFC

Are you using the installation CD's that came with that laptop?

lola2001

Oh....I didn't know I had to use the SAME CD's that came with it, I didn't think it would matter. I've just sent my daughter to get them (it's her roommate). Thanks.

Hi,

If this is XP Home, as far as I am aware, you should bve able to use the key 5 times before you get "locked out".

Are you sure you are typing it in correctly? zero and the letter "O" look similar.

The keys are dependant on the OS installtions media type, if its OEM, then you need an oem key, if its an upgrade then you need an upgrade key etc.
You cant use an OEM key for an upgrade product etc.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
In addition, there are even some different OEM key series, I've seen OEM disks that wouldn't accept an OEM key provided with a different brand machine. It's very important to hang onto any media you get with a system, this is just one illustration why.

lola2001

I got the original CD's that came with the laptop. I reinstalled xp and used the keycode from the sticker on the bottom of the machine. It worked but now it won't activate. I called the number and the recording said they can't activate it at this time and hung up.

I told her she needs to take it back to Future Shop - where she bought it last year - and ask them what to do because I have no idea.

This is just another reason why I don't use XP. Way too much hassle.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online