1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Prof. PC freezing - OS is dead - hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computer-aces, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

One of the computers I have is freezing several times a day. It's an AMD XP 1900+ CPU, 1 GB RAM, 20 GB HD, SB Live, GeForce FX 5200, DVD burner, CD-ROM and running Windows XP Professional. This computer has been running fine for well over a year or so. In the past month or two it's been freezing and the only way to get it back up is to hit the reset key. I don't think it's OS or software related. I can't do a three finger salute and the caps lock and numb. lock don't turn on or off when it does this. I thought it might have been Netscape becuase I leave that open almost all the time, but I recently tried a couple other things and it freezes on burning CD's, using IE, and just about everything else too. I put motherboard monitor on it to see if it's overheating or anything, but I don't think that's it. It's running around 45 degrees celcius. I have a full tower case with a 400 Watt power supply. The PS is AMD approved and the fan on it is working fine. I also have a fan on the front pulling air in and another fan in the rear blowing air out. No hardware changes has been made in a long time. I'm thinking it may be the hard drive dying. Sometimes the PC will stay up for days and then sometimes it will freeze 4-5 times a day and I only use it at night when I'm not at work. The HD is pretty old - probably the oldest part on the PC. Is there a program or some sort of test to try to test it or push it to the max to see if it is failing? Or, could it be something else?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cory

2. roban

roban

Any tasks running in the background like an AV scanner?

3. dai

dai

go to your h/d manufacturers web site and they will have a dionostic program you can d/l and run to test your drive

4. computer-aces

I've had Norton 2003 since it came out and it's been on the same settings since I've had it and it's never given me any problems. I don't have it set to automatically go to the internet and download virus definitions. I do that manually every couple days. I just don't like programs running when I'm trying to do something when they can wait til later.

It's a Western Digital HD. I'll get their program and see what it does when I get home.

Thanks,

Cory

5. computer-aces

Well, the Western Digital test ran fine and here's the results...

The following information was returned from the Data Lifeguard Utility:

Drive Information:
    Manufacturer: Western Digital Corporation
    Serial Number: WM9491060554
    Model Number: WDC WD205BA
    Firmware Rev: 611.M361

Test Results:
    TEST PASSED!
    Congratulations! The Data Lifeguard Diagnositc utility has determined that your hard drive is functioning properly. If you still encounter problems on your hard drive that you feel were not identified in the Data Lifeguard utility, please contact us for technical support.

So.... is there a motherboard test or something else I can try?

Cory

6. dai

dai

try closing norton down and see if that makes a difference,sometimes it will play up and need reinstalling
    my first thoughts reading your post was p/s have you another you can swap over to check

7. computer-aces

I'm about to go out of town for the holidays, but I'll try both of those in about a week and I'll post the results.

Cory

8. Computer_Wiz

Computer_Wiz

1 year is a long time to create errors and bad script. So I suggest do a simple re-format (backup anything important) and go from there, if your still having troubles then you know for a fact it's a hardware issue. Computer's in my view and majority of others should be re-formatted every 6months to ensure optimal performance. So give that a try and see what happens, you have nothing too loose except time!

Cheers
    John

The Computer Wiz Himself!
    [​IMG]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!