Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xp professional 2002 clean install questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I just did a clean install of xp professional. Which sp packs do I need and can I download these from another computer onto a cd? I don't have Internet or virus protection yet and don't want to risk a virus by downloading from Internet directly onto my computer. I want to load Microsoft security essentials but you arent supposed to do that unless you have sp3. :?

#2 ·
www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=10767

here is a site that has info re: downloading windows xp pro SP3.
Please make sure you download it from a secure site. My first attempt was to download and save onto a flashdrive. The site was Soft32 and it took forever to finish downloading onto my computer. In the end, I had to reinstall SP3 from Microsoft download Center. Also, they have more than one type of SP3. You need to get the download for just one computer which has SP2 installed. Also, downloading is one thing but installing is a completely different ballgame (see my posts re: Problems Installing SP3). Your computer is probably in much better condition than mine, but I would just get everything from Microsoft. That's just my opinion. Also, they have the automatic updates. You better get some kind of antivirus/malware protection because just about anywhere you go on the internet has THREATS bundled up among the good things. I wish you luck, Aspar Alp Arslan

#3 ·
Was the clean install of Windows XP Professional the original version, SP1, or SP2?

Just to be sure, right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties.

What's listed in the System: section in the "General" tab?

You can download and SAVE the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade from here, then burn it off to a CD-R.

---------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Are there any entries in the list that have a yellow ? or ! next to them?

It's my guess that you still need to install one or more device drivers.

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

--------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.