1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Professional auto reboots after trojan virus removal?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lemontreeq, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemontreeq

lemontreeq Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm snookered here. I recently installed software to operate ADSL boradband hardware. Once I got connected online, within 1 minute machine was horribly infected with millions of viruses and backdoor creeps. They infected my registry to such an extend that I could not operate machine at all. I then rebooted the box in safe mode and loaded a little app called smitrem.exe from http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/, awesome little app removed all the crap from my system in cmd, cleaned registry etc. Then I rebooted my box and things were back to normal. I am a grpahic artist and own this company, so I'm on tight deadlnes, hence me registering here. After the removal of viruses, with dual monitors I would normally work design left screen, develop on right screen. Constantly having to open windows explorer. Suddenly explorer would quit or crash and desktop gui, icons everthing disappears accept apps. Force quit to reboot. I then also relised that box had no firewall on, so I removed the hardware and software drivers and loaded same process onto my laptop, networked to my development maschine. Because of firewall no problems whatsoever, however - when I bridge IE connection to big box the following happens:

1. The moment connection live on laptop, big PC crashes to reboot state.
    2. Once reboot, go to logon screen, select to type in username, box crahses again
    3. When I turn off IE connection on laptop, reboot big BOX, no problems, the machine boots up and goes okay.
    4. Restart IE connection on laptop, BIG box goes for about 30 min, then everthing crashes, box reboots itself again?

Guys, I need help. Is it possible (& I fear), that when I removed the viruses with above app, that I removed/damaged certain critical registries within OS, resulting in this problem?
    If so, is there any way of fixing this problem without having to re-install/format? I simply just cannot do that right now and my box takes 2 days to redo from scratch because of all the hardware.

Can anyone out there please help me with advise. My network is now slow, internet connection sometimes fast, then horribly slow again. When I open IE on my BIG, if I can - I cannot surf international sites, only local at times, yet on laptop i can surf anything?

What's happening with my box - please help guys?????????

HB - Lemon Tree Studios (South Africa)

2. Sparrow

Sparrow

(IMO)......Yes

It appears that "SmitRem' is directed at a particular Virus and not a general antivirus.
    Also the web page stated that (If you did do this) online "Panda" scan would delete
    some files (Although they recommending doing so).

You may find this web site useful (Hopefully) by doing a reinstall windows XP without
    formating.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/pcrepair/a/reinstallxp.htm

3. lemontreeq

lemontreeq Thread Starter

I read the website related to the programme. The problem is that i used another similar app that did nothing to my machine, hence me thinking the new app would be the same, ALAS???? I will try this method at a later stage, as I have no time - surely something else can be done, will keep your option in mind!

Thanks bud!:eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice