1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Profile Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jordan_Kreiger, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jordan_Kreiger

Jordan_Kreiger Thread Starter

I had a hardware issue a few weeks ago. The computer couldn't load XP right and would just hang. I ordered a new hard drive from Newegg and reinstalled the windows on it. Got everything working, and I can even plug in the old drive and get my old game saves and stuff off of it, minus the my documents stuff. The folder in the Documents and Settings where I had my stuff in isn't accessable. It tells me access is denied. Is there any way to override this and give access to my documents folder on the old drive?
    Much thanks for your help.

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Login to the new computer as Administrator. You see, it's not enough to be a user with administrator privileges. Administrator is needed.

3. Jordan_Kreiger

I don't think i created an account as administrator. If i did, i left the password blank and there's no mention of it on my user accounts. I'll try that in the morning.

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

There must be an administrator account. You did the XP installation as administrator. Near the end of the installation process XP asked you about who will use the computer, and you gave it your name. That is when you (as administrator) created your present user account, which has been, so it seems, in use ever since.

I guess your system makes an automatic login at startup. Log out, and then log in as admin.

By the way, a blank admin password makes your PC extremely vulnerable.

5. Jordan_Kreiger

I believe i left that part blank. I use my own name as my account to use. And there's no automatic login. It pulls up only one account, mine. Now, the computer lists the same, but when I go to make an administrator account, it tells me that account is already created, yet i can't see it. What do i do now?

6. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

As My Windows is local language, I have to guess what your English menus and buttons are like, so pay attention to the meaning rather than to the letter of my description.

Open Control Panel
    There is an applet called "User Accounts" or something like that. Open it.
    Here there are 3 tasks:
    - changing an existing account
    - creating a new account
    - changing the way users log in
    This 3rd one is what you need. Click on it.
    Uncheck"use welcome screen" (the other option gets disabled)
    Apply changes.
    Log out of Windows
    Now you will see the classic two-fields login window. (Three-fields, if your pc is part of a network.) You can log in as administrator now. (If you know the password, that is.)

7. Jordan_Kreiger

Just tried that... didn't work. Still gives me access is denied.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Login in safe mode and then choose Adminstrator account and you can change the permissions.

9. Jordan_Kreiger

Just tried that. System, as well as some account that is S followed by about thirty numbers and a sprinkling of dashes, has full control but no one else. How can I add my user account so it has full permissions?
    Thanks for your help you guys. I know it's not easy doing this.

10. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Right click on the folder.
    Properties, Sharing tab.
    There is a checkbox here, which allows to make the folder your own.
    Try this, as administrator, if possible.

11. Jordan_Kreiger

Okay I just tried it with administrator, and it doesn't work. there's a checkbox there for to make this folder private, but it's grayed out. Booting into safe mode and trying that, there's no sharing tab, only a permissions box with the before mentioned words. Grr.

12. bbearren

bbearren

Your Administrator account has no password. Hit "Start", "Logoff", and when you get the screen to logon, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete two times. That will give you a classic windows logon screen. Type in "Administrator" as the user, and then click OK or hit enter. Don't try to enter any password.

Once you're logged in as administrator, go to User Accounts and set a password for Administrator. Make sure that it is something you can remember, and/or write it down and keep it in a safe place.

Next, make a new account named "Admin", or something similiar, and make that account an administrator account. Windows requires at least one user to be an administrator account. Make a password for "Admin" (or whatever you name it) and make that something you can remember, and/or write it down and keep it in a safe place.

Once you have all that done, use either the "Admin" (or whatever) or the Administrator account to access the files you're after.

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

With the problems of doing this it might be easier and better if all of the data where backed up and then a full re-install was done and make sure you put all of the information into Windows that is asked for including passowrds. If you want a secure password you can use the identification number off of your drivers license, nobody will ever crack that one.

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

14. Jordan_Kreiger

Bbearren-My admin account does have a password. I set it this morning. And my normal account is an admin account too. Still get the error messages.

ozrom1e-which hard drive are you referring to? the initial one i'm trying to get data off of, or the one i've just bought and installed?

15. bbearren

bbearren

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!