1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Program running in Startup vs. Services

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nickg, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

XP made it more confusing with what you can/should/don't need to run.

what's the difference between what's in your Startup and what's in Services running and what would be safe/not safe to either delete or close?

thanks.

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

3. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

after seeing everything involved with "Services" and the gyrations you have to go through it may actually be more trouble than it's worth. thanks for the link though.

4. dmneoblade

dmneoblade

Startup is just programs you want running when you turn on your computer (IM client, e-mail client, web browser, etc.)

Services are system things that need to be constantly running in the background. (firewalls, webservers, anti-virus, etc)

5. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

so it's probably best just to leave all this alone i would say, right?

6. dmneoblade

dmneoblade

Leave the services alone, but you can tweak with the startup a bit.

7. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

yeah, i have no problem with programs in the Startup menu. i was just curious about Services.

here's a question though. i downloaded a utility and wasn't impressed with what it did so i dumped the program. but it's still in the startup menu. how the heck can i get rid of it from Startup. i don't see any folders or files for it unless it's buried in the registry somewhere. would that affect it still being in the Startup menu?

8. dmneoblade

dmneoblade

What utility was this?

9. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

BySoft FreeRAM

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Better to put more RAM in the computer.

11. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

i got 512 mb. that's all it can take unfortunately.

in regards to FreeRAM in the startup program. i see it in the msconfig Startup but don't see in any other utility that allows me to get into Startup. so what's the deal with that? :confused:

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Black Viper's site has the lowdown on services. That is a good place to go.

If you really want to know what makes a difference to performance I would trial Diskeeper 9 Professional (not Home) (30 day) and, if you are running on NTFS, make sure that the Master File Tables are the right size with Frag-Shield. I had to pad out (make bigger) the MFTs on all four drives and then reset the MFT on drive C: manually. It was 99% full and causing fragmentation and poor performance.

DK9 Pro will defrag the drive in the background and with 512Mb of RAM this shouldn't be a problem.

Then you can do a boottime defrag running checkdisk at the same time, and defrag the paging file and MFTs. As long as you have 4096 bytes per allocation unit (4k clusters) you should see a dramatic increase in performance and reliability.

See the NTFS Performance link below.

It is probably a stuck entry in msconfig. Can you see it in the SpyBot start-up list?

Have you tried RegCleaner 4·3?

13. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

i do not see it in any of the listings of any utilities i run that shows the startup list...only in the msconfig startup list. that's what i dont understand.

i've been running Diskeeper Pro but i only have a few more days left on my evaluation.

as far as registry cleaners, i'm using CCleaner.

14. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

The items might be present in any of these locations in the registry:

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    [HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

-and-

[HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

15. nickg

nickg Thread Starter

i looked in the registry but there is always the chance that i overlooked a key. i'll check again and see what i can see. thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!