1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP re-activation after formatting?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by |30|3, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. |30|3

|30|3 Thread Starter

I can't activate my copy of XP again after I needed to format my computer. The program gave me two numbers to call and neither of those work, I just get the recording that the number I dialed is no longer active or whatever. So how can I go about activating my OS now?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

From the Microsoft website:

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
    You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

Let us know if that does not work.

3. |30|3

|30|3 Thread Starter

I've tried it already, but both numbers listed are discontinued in the US.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

5. |30|3

|30|3 Thread Starter

I just get this message after going through the steps:

Windows Activation Required.
    Windows must be activated in order to determine if the Windows product key installed on this computer is genuine.

It then asks me to purchase a copy of Windows Genuine for $100 and says if I'm unable to register my product, it's probably a counterfeit copy, which it isn't. I have the box I purchased it in right in front of me and I'm 100 percent sure nobody else has. I have just reformatted on the same computer that was using the same copy of XP, and when trying to register my product online, it says it's already been registered before..... Wooooooooooow

Online Registration error: According to our records, the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

How many computers is this copy of Windows currently installed on? If only one, and it is a retail version, you call Microsoft and tell them you had to re-install and it is only installed on one computer.

If it is OEM and is installed on only one computer (which must be the original one), you call Microsoft and tell them you had to re-install and it is only installed on one computer.

If there is any doub't whether your CD key has been pirated, "Google" it. It has been pirated if Google returns any results for it.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice