1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Re-Install Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Frontline, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontline

Frontline Thread Starter

I will try to summarize this the best I can.

I had some problems with my PC so I booted my XP disc from setup and then chose "repair existing installation." It started back up with the software activation wizard but it would not find my internet connection, so I cannot llogon or activate. I tried booting from the XP disc once again, this time choosing the "install fresh copy of XP" on the partition with my existing install. I chose to overwrite my "\Windows" folder install all new files (I want to try and keep all of my personal files/downloads in-tact) but it still loads up my same account name, it doesn't delete any of my account info and it takes me through the whole activation process again.

As stated, I want to try to keep all of my files in-tact, I don't care about losing my personal settings or account name. Is there any other way to do this? Is there a way of doing this by going through the Repair Console? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice