1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP re-installation fizzled

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ChapHMel, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChapHMel

ChapHMel Thread Starter

Have a Dell Optiplex 745 that I wiped the hard drive and re-installed XP Home Edition. No sound and No internet!!!!! Charter Tech informed me that installation disc did not install all required stuff! Checked the internet with my HP PC and tried everything to no avail. Troubleshooter tells me that some cards I need are missing or defective although they worked fine before wiping the hard drive! PC repair can't search internet for needed files and or drivers as it can't access the internet.
    Can't understand why the re-installation disc has caused so many problems.

I went to device manage and there are at least a dozen yellow ? (question marks) and when I click on them, they can't reinstall the necessary drivers because as before, I can't access the net.

HELP

2. valis

valis Moderator

obviously you got here, so you can get to the net. :)

Easiest solution is to find and d/l the network driver for your machine, as then you can get to the internet and d/l the correct drivers directly to it.

click start > run > sysdm.cpl > hardware tab > device manager > check for yellow triangles. Those are the drivers you need. When you find a yellow triangle, check out the hardware ID's on the driver details tab; it should look like PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&SUBSYS_01681028&REV_02.

The VEN_ is the vendor ID, the DEV_ is the device id; enter both of them at http://pcidatabase.com/. That will give you the details you need to track down the driver. Don't hesitate to post back here; it's a lot to swallow at once.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on your Dell OptiPlex 745?

If you did a clean install with a Windows XP Home Edition disc and not with a Dell restore disc, most or all of the drivers for its devices(chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, etc.) will need to be installed afterwards.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. valis

valis Moderator

3 people, 3 answers, all the same, oddly enough......:)

and plodr? Optiplec? sounds like that simpsons episode with the Somy and the Trinitone. :)

6. ChapHMel

ChapHMel Thread Starter

My express Service Code is 16509076993 and the other 7L12TCI. The Dell.org site is a mass of confusion. It shows five (5) Ethernet drivers, four are self installing....unfortunately I am accessing the net with a hp windows 7 PC and am afraid that something might self install into my windows 7 system and foul me up.

This is all about to make an 88 year old man cry! The windows XP reinstallation disc I purchased is lousy. I demanded and got a full refund from the seller, including shipping. He advertised his disc would restore the OS just like Dell delivered it new! Obviously he was fibbing a little! If I hadn't dealt thru Amazon I would have been out of luck.

Are any of the driver download offers any good? The ones that are supposed to install everything needed for a price.

7. ChapHMel

ChapHMel Thread Starter

Just noticed that the system recovery boot disc for XP Home is not a Dell product. Also just noticed that it is not what I ordered. I never ordered a boot disc, but a complete OS reinstallation disc. This is all my fault for not paying attention and trying to do things on the cheap.

8. ChapHMel

ChapHMel Thread Starter

I purchased the Dell XP PC to play games that will not play in most later OS's like windows 7. Have decided to stay offline and any utilities or other downloads I will do with windows 7. I would like to get the sound going for my MS Combat Flight Simulator (original). I have a sound card that I can install in the Dell but wonder if it will work without whatever is killing the sound now?

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site that's assigned only to your Dell OptiPlex 745 Mini Tower.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

It shipped in April 2007 in the United States and came with Windows XP Professional SP2.

If you select the "Drivers & downloads" link and then select "MS Windows XP" for the operating system, the list of drivers for Windows XP will appear.

It appears to have these primary devices:

Intel Chipset Software (which should be installed first before the other drivers)

Intel Q963\Q965\G965 Graphics Controller

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio

Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller

The Windows XP Professional restore disc kit for it can be purchased here.

Attached Files:

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The self-extracting self-installing files will only run if and when you tell them to run. Even if you mistakenly run them on the Windows 7 system they will just exit with an error message because it is the wrong system and because you almost definitely don't have the same devices on that computer.

So, perfectly safe and reasonable and normal to download on one computer and copy them over using USB flash drive, CD, etc. Install the chipset first and then the networking drivers. Then you will probably have internet access and can get the other needed drivers directly.

One caution--I didn't notice above what service pack level you now have on the XP. If it is not at least SP2 the drivers may not work (or may not install). Best to first bring the system up to SP3. Download SP3 from here if you need it.

11. ChapHMel

ChapHMel Thread Starter

Want to thank you for your help with my computer. I downloaded a driver from Dell and when I looked at it at the destination I found that there must have been fifteen or twenty different symbols. Clicking on any of them brought up a message that they could not be loaded into my XP operating system for one reason or another.

I am too old to spend hours trying to understand what to do, so I put a copy of Windows 7 into the Dell and put it away with another PC that I have. From now on out I will make sure of what I am buying. Sure wish that Microsoft had a fix for the malfunctioning joy stick in the original combat flight simulator. I spent hours trying to get the controller to work with combat flight simulator in Windows 7, but no luck. THANKS AGAIN!

12. ChapHMel

ChapHMel Thread Starter

Am starting over with my Dell computer - will do a quick wipe (wipe drive) and want to put XP (originally came with XP Pro OS back on the hard drive. I purchased a reinstallation disc that promised to restore XP to factory specs on a clean hard drive. It installed the basic XP OS but with some missing drivers, the worst being for internet access. NOW: I need to know if it would be best to use the reinstallation disc after wiping my hard drive and then purchasing a program that installs everything I need or go to the extra expense of purchasing a bargain "complete" OS which would cost me more. Am 88 years old and not up to running down drivers and all that. Is there an upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro and if so, would it have all the necessary drivers?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You generally have to get the latest (and correct) drivers from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. Luckily for Dell owners it's pretty easy to find the right set of drivers by searching using the Service Tag that is unique to each Dell PC. If the computer is old enough all the drivers (but not necessarily the latest) may be included in whatever installation CD you have.

Pretty sure that with XP the only way to upgrade from Home to Pro is by a clean install of the XP Pro.

Then don't mess with PCs (especially older ones) nor Windows (especially older ones) nor Linux distributions. Since Apple likes to maintain complete control of hardware and software if you get a MAC you probably needn't worry about drivers (just guessing; I've never had one).

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Did you install the chipset driver? Intel; it should be installed first
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-745/drivers

reboot and see if some of the yellow triangles are gone.

We have an Optiplex 745 here. I bought it from a MS certified refurbisher. It came with Windows 7 32 bit Pro.
    I suspect there are no XP drivers on it but I'll have a look when my husband gets off. (I bought it for him when I took his XP computer offline).

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!