XP reactivation problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tkmuthuvel

I have Windows XP OEM pack.
I installed windows XP on INTEL DESKTOP BOARD D845GVSR

i activated windows XP through Internet Sccessfully.

it was working properly yet today

Now i changed MotherBoard Intel 845GVSR motherboad to Mercury Motherboard due to Intel 845GVSR Mother board Problem.
Righ now my problem is I cannot Reactivate windows XP

I have only 3 days to activate (menas activate) windows XP

what can i do?

when i try to activate (reactivate) windows XP .it asks following

" According to our records, the number of times you can activate windows with this product key has been exceeded.pleasr enter different product key and then click RETRY. etc...
followed by this information it asked 25 digit product key

what can i do???

i try my product key which i have given previosly.but i could not activate windows XP

Help me

By
Muthuvel.K

I

OEM versions of Windows are licensed to the computer with which they were first installed, and must remain with it for life.

The new motherboard is technically a new computer, so understandably XP sees it as such and activation is refused.

You should ring Microsoft and explain that its really the same computer but the motherboard failed and was replaced. They may agree to reissue the activation for you.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I agree. You're going to need to call Microsoft and talk to a real live person.

Make sure you have the 25-digit product code to give them if they ask for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow this link and it gives you all the details regarding product activation.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

On the right hand side of the page is a Windows Product activation demo. Watch the demo before you try to activate.

When you change motherboards, Microsoft considers that you have created a new PC and would require a new operating system to be installed. There is however a provision that IF the motherboard was replaced because it was defective then it is not necessary to buy a new operating system.

As you will see in the demo Microsoft will provide either a 50 or 54 digit numeric code and a telephone number for you to call. (It is best to have a telephone available at your computer when you start the activation) After you see the 50 or 54 digit numeric code call the on screen telephone number, read the code to the Microsoft representative and explain (if they ask) that you changed the motherboard because of a defect. At that point they should give you a new code that you enter right on the screen and activate the product.

As win2kpro has stated, just call MS and they will give you a new key. They will also ask you questions such as "How many computers do you have this copy of windows installed on?" Of course they are trick questions, and they are not asking how many of your computers have windows, they are asking how many of your computers have the SAME COPY. So make sure you pay attention to the questions they ask. One wrong answer and they won't revalidate your copy.

Oddly enough I changed motherboards and did not have to call MS to revalidate. Maybe it's because I replaced the ASUS board with another ASUS board (a7n8x-x to p4p800). I format my computer often and have run out of validation attempts. So I ended up having to call MS. My gosh their english was horrible, and they were VERY rude to me :mad:. Also, expect long wait times on hold :mad:

I 'spect I have called Microsoft a dozen or so times to activate and have never encountered a rude person . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online