XP rebooting before finishes booting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bdraft

I did a search on google and in the forums for this problem, but I didn't find it, probably just using the wrong search terms. I'm posting my question in hopes of getting the answer before I have to try to take other measures and possibly be sorry.

I need to know either how to fix it (preferably) or how to access the info under the user's c:\documents and settings\ folder(s) so that I can back it up to fix it.
I tried posting this a couple of days ago, but could not because I'm a new user and they won't let me post URLs to the places I reference where I found the help previous to posting in here. I have taken the time to take out the URLs and rephrase some of it so that you can know or figure out what website I'm talking about and look up the page if you need to.

Original post below:

I have a bit of a problem I can't seem to figure out with a WinXP (with SP2 installed).

Just after XP gets to the "loading XP" with the blue dots racing across the screen in a box, but before the desktop is shows up, the computer reboots (goes back to the BIOS page showing memory, hard disk, BOIS revisions etc.). This is problem 4. problems and fixes leading up to this are below.

The underlying problems may have started earlier, but I'll explain the events leading up to this latest problem.

1st: My sister used a
program called "Double Killer" I think to delete some files that she had in multiple places on her hard drive. This caused most of her desktop links (the icons on the desktop, quick start bar, etc.) to become inoperative. Problem there was that she didn't limit it to certain folders and so the program picked up doubles in the system folders and such (I believe this is what happened, at least).
No biggy I thought, I went in found a restore point from 2 days before this and used. The system won't boot properly after this. This is where problem 2 came in at.

2nd: After the BIOS page and the POST and such, the error message "Missing or corrupt file" came up stating that "NTOSKRNL.EXE" was missing or corrupt.
Ack!! O.K. so I do a google search for the error and found this page describing how to fix it: (unable to use URLs, so goto the Ozzu site and lookup ftopic23580). Basically it describes how to copy the file form the CD and from another place on the hard drive.

Done, feeling good I reboot....ACK!!

3rd:
error message about couldn't load "system32\NTfs.sys"
I did a google on that error and found a site on how to fix it (I apparently didn't bookmark the page, sorry). I think I did a search for it on the XP CD-ROM and copied that file over.

Now the problem I'm hung up on:

4th: System seems to start fine, gets to the select screen for how you want to start windows (normally, safemode, safemode with networking, etc.). I thought this is good, sense it's further than I'd gotten in the past. I selected "Load windows normally". It got to the "loading XP" window and reboot.
It paused at the windows boot select screen described above. I tried safe mode figuring on doing a chkdsk on the disk, safemode lead to the reboot. So did every other option on that menu.

The only solution I found was this one on Microsoft's support site:
default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341 . (You can probably just search the MS KB for 315341 and get by with it.)
Basically it describes an "upgrade in place"....basically re-installing without cleaning up first. They also mention deleting a file called "Undo_guimode.txt" before I do this so that I don't loose some data. (Checked that, I think i'm safe from that part, hooked up to another PC and didn't find it at the listed location, and a windows search of the entire drive did not pick up a file by that or similar name.)

That seems pretty radical to me (I never did like to do brain surgery to fix an in-grown toe nail). On top of that I can't access the files in the user's "documents and settings" folder on another computer to back up the info in case of loss. I thought that that might be because the user name requires a password.

Now I need to either back up that info in the Documents and settings folder and the the other info not in there (I've got most if not all of it saved in a different place on the drive waiting to be copied to another drive). It let me copy the documents and settings from one spot on the same hard drive to another spot, but it will not let me copy it to another drive so I can do a clean install (partition, format, re-install etc.). The "upgrade in place" that I posted the link to above is what I called a "dirty install" when I was doing the same on Windows 98SE (Actually, that I manually deleted "c:\windows", "command.com", "autoexe.bat" etc. A "nasty install" was when I didn't even do that for what ever reason.)

I would like to repair this if possible, if not I need to access the files in documents and settings that I get a 'permission denied' error on trying to read or copy.

Thank you for your time;
bdraft

bdraft said:
I did a search on google and in the forums for this problem, but I didn't find it, probably just using the wrong search terms. I'm posting my question in hopes of getting the answer before I have to try to take other measures and possibly be sorry.

I need to know either how to fix it (preferably) or how to access the info under the user's c:\documents and settings\ folder(s) so that I can back it up to fix it.
I tried posting this a couple of days ago, but could not because I'm a new user and they won't let me post URLs to the places I reference where I found the help previous to posting in here. I have taken the time to take out the URLs and rephrase some of it so that you can know or figure out what website I'm talking about and look up the page if you need to.

Original post below:

I have a bit of a problem I can't seem to figure out with a WinXP (with SP2 installed).

Just after XP gets to the "loading XP" with the blue dots racing across the screen in a box, but before the desktop is shows up, the computer reboots (goes back to the BIOS page showing memory, hard disk, BOIS revisions etc.). This is problem 4. problems and fixes leading up to this are below.

The underlying problems may have started earlier, but I'll explain the events leading up to this latest problem.

1st: My sister used a
program called "Double Killer" I think to delete some files that she had in multiple places on her hard drive. This caused most of her desktop links (the icons on the desktop, quick start bar, etc.) to become inoperative. Problem there was that she didn't limit it to certain folders and so the program picked up doubles in the system folders and such (I believe this is what happened, at least).
No biggy I thought, I went in found a restore point from 2 days before this and used. The system won't boot properly after this. This is where problem 2 came in at.

2nd: After the BIOS page and the POST and such, the error message "Missing or corrupt file" came up stating that "NTOSKRNL.EXE" was missing or corrupt.
Ack!! O.K. so I do a google search for the error and found this page describing how to fix it: (unable to use URLs, so goto the Ozzu site and lookup ftopic23580). Basically it describes how to copy the file form the CD and from another place on the hard drive.

Done, feeling good I reboot....ACK!!

3rd:
error message about couldn't load "system32\NTfs.sys"
I did a google on that error and found a site on how to fix it (I apparently didn't bookmark the page, sorry). I think I did a search for it on the XP CD-ROM and copied that file over.

Now the problem I'm hung up on:

4th: System seems to start fine, gets to the select screen for how you want to start windows (normally, safemode, safemode with networking, etc.). I thought this is good, sense it's further than I'd gotten in the past. I selected "Load windows normally". It got to the "loading XP" window and reboot.
It paused at the windows boot select screen described above. I tried safe mode figuring on doing a chkdsk on the disk, safemode lead to the reboot. So did every other option on that menu.

The only solution I found was this one on Microsoft's support site:
default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341 . (You can probably just search the MS KB for 315341 and get by with it.)
Basically it describes an "upgrade in place"....basically re-installing without cleaning up first. They also mention deleting a file called "Undo_guimode.txt" before I do this so that I don't loose some data. (Checked that, I think i'm safe from that part, hooked up to another PC and didn't find it at the listed location, and a windows search of the entire drive did not pick up a file by that or similar name.)

That seems pretty radical to me (I never did like to do brain surgery to fix an in-grown toe nail). On top of that I can't access the files in the user's "documents and settings" folder on another computer to back up the info in case of loss. I thought that that might be because the user name requires a password.

Now I need to either back up that info in the Documents and settings folder and the the other info not in there (I've got most if not all of it saved in a different place on the drive waiting to be copied to another drive). It let me copy the documents and settings from one spot on the same hard drive to another spot, but it will not let me copy it to another drive so I can do a clean install (partition, format, re-install etc.). The "upgrade in place" that I posted the link to above is what I called a "dirty install" when I was doing the same on Windows 98SE (Actually, that I manually deleted "c:\windows", "command.com", "autoexe.bat" etc. A "nasty install" was when I didn't even do that for what ever reason.)

I would like to repair this if possible, if not I need to access the files in documents and settings that I get a 'permission denied' error on trying to read or copy.

Thank you for your time;

U r system affected with virus scan for viruses from diff pc.Check for Spyware
malicious trojans.Boot with winxp cd select repair option.

Patil.N.N
bdraft

bdraft

No virus, didn't think about mentioning that. Yanking the hard drive and putting it on another working PC. Used Huristics and all deep scanning options in Free version of AVG, nothing. The "Housecall" website that Trend Micro has out regestered nothing. The PC was running updated version of Norton AV with full huristics and scan options turned on by default (I think they should come pre-selected, not have to turn them on after In install).
In yanking the drive, I also did a chkdsk from the working computer, one problem it found and fixed, don't remember what it was but it did nothing to help. Also, I use a combonation of Spy-bot and Ad-Aware for spyware and run it sometimes one a day depending on what I do. I was also using an updated version of Zone Alarm for firewall duties.
This all was done BEFORE any of the remedys listed in the post were attempted. No use in attemting to fix something if it might be infected.
It was a case of deleteing system files that shouldn't have been deleted. Run a program to look for duplicate files in your system folders....you may be supprised how many duplicates there is.

bdraft

I did the "upgrade in place" without too much trouble, except the validation part. It wouldn't let me log on till I validated it, and it wouldn't validate till I logged on and changed the network settings so it could get on the net (should have worked out of the box, it does on a fresh install). Got on the phone and called the number they gave me, that took care of that problem.
And that is as far as I've gotten. I can login now without it telling me I need to validate before I log in. Now I get the "loading personal settings" window, followed by the "saving personal settings" window. That sux....
What sux worse than that is that it does that in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, and "load last known".

The only thing I can seem to do is to switch from Pepsi to A&W Root-beer, which has no known effects on the computer. (Orange "Crush" in the long neck bottles I know has an effect, at least if you tip the bottle over next to the open side of the computer case, sugary liquid running down your mobo and pooling up on your video card can do that they say. That was a different computer a long time ago though and has no bearing on this, except it's funny to retell....and the computer still works!!)

Any thoughts on this new delima??
I'll be posting a better phrased question in a new thread in a little while since it's a new problem (sort of) if I don't get an answer. (Some may still be subscribed to this thread, so I'm giving that a chance to work before I do more posting.)

thank you for your time
bdraft

bdraft

dobbelina said:
Did you follow "norton850" advice and made a repair install ?
Yes I did, sorry, guess I didn't say.

I just have the logging in problem now as far as i can see.
I select user name, type in password, it says "logging on" then it says "loading personal settings". Momentarily it says "saving personal settings" then it says "logging off" and I'm back at the user page (showing the list of users and an icon for them).

I have tried safemode, and safemode with networking, and safemode with command prompt, and the option to load last known working setup. All 4 of those options gives me the same ring-around-the-rosy.
This isn't fun....
If it'd have been 98SE I'd have had it figured out or it would have been easier to off-load the info and restart from fresh.

On a 98SE thought. Anybody know of anybody that has made a skin to make XP Home look like 98SE?? I'm running the start menu and all of that in the classical mode, but it still doesn't look a lot like 98SE. I actually liked 98SE's layout....
Different subject though....

thank you for your time
bdraft

Wipe the lot and start again and learn from the experience.
Tell your sis if she ever touches your pc again you'll disown her her. :D
(y)
Wolfey

bdraft

Wolfeymole said:
Wipe the lot and start again and learn from the experience.
Tell your sis if she ever touches your pc again you'll disown her her. :D
(y)
Wolfey
It's her PC, not mine. I just happen to have built it for her, and since she isn't really knowledgeable about PCs a lot (she knows how to run them well) and has a hard time understanding the hardware side of it (she does alright understanding the software side.
I told her to run the duplicate file locater, I just forgot to mention to keep it out of the dang system folders. I had forgotten to tell the program to stay away from the system files when I was looking it over and installing it a few days before. (I actually was doing duplicate runs through the system folders, I was curious how many backups and copies and such and so on that XP Home makes.)

As far as wiping it and starting over, I may do that, after I am able to recover the files under "C:\Documents and Settings\'username'\My Documents". The system wont' let me until I login AS that user for that system and can copy them out of there.
I do not have a recent copy of the files in that folder. When I get this done, I am thinking of trying to find a good back-up program that is cheap (preferably free) and will backup to her DVD-+RW drive (specific drive is a Plextor PX-712A (internal).
If people have suggestions as to which backup software I should investigate, please let me know.

thank you for your time;
bdraft

bdraft

K. I have does a chkdsk /p and a chkdsk /f in the restore console.
I have done a fixboot, and I have does a fixmbr.

It still automatically logs the user out as soon as the user logs in.
"Logging into Windows....loading personal settings....saving personal settings....logout of Windows."
I have done the upgrade in place 3 times now, with 2 different XP disks. I have switched back to an antique video card hopping the drivers for it's support would clear up a couple of "cannot find" files for the video. That worked.

The only problem I encountered when I was doing the last upgrade in place was a "can not find setup_wm.exe". I haven't installed any drivers or anything, can't get on to do that, not even in safe mode. I have thought of going to the latest BIOS from the motherboard manufacture, but I have decided to wait on that, the less changes I make the less that can be causing the problem.

If you can't figure out how to get it working, I need to get the files out of the "My Documents" folder. How do I do that?? Every time I try to copy it to a different disk so I can start a clean install of XP, it gives me an access denied error.

please help;

thank you for your time;
bdraft

bdraft

I had forgotten about the boot CD, I'll go check it out. The idea of going to another PC and changing ownership didn't work. some of the buttons and tabs they reference was not present. It's kind of funny, for years using AIX at school, I was wishing they had a good GUI that I could do some of that stuff on, now I wish that I had a good command line to do that stuff on.
I don't think that Windows has the ability to "chmod" from the command line, didn't work when I tried it.

Will the CD have a GUI or command line??

thank you for your time
bdraft

dobbelina said:
Normally you would do that by taking "ownership of the files".
Here's how to:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
If i were you i'd download a bootCD that can access both NTFS and FAT formatted disks and use that to transfer files over to a "healthy disk".
Here's one freebie that can do that:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online