XP reboots continuously reboots after SP2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

network-man

I have a client that has this problem. I found this forum through Google and this post (http://forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-270719.html) seems very similar but no good answers.
Doing F8 I turned off auto restart and got the B.S.O.D. stop c000135 telling me it was unable to locate winsrv.

After getting the stop error I found http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885523 and thought I'd pass it along. It's different than the UMAX scanner KB article.

Going to try to recover now. Wish me luck.

Triple6

Rob
There are many articles warning of problems when installing SP2 on a computer with spyware; which is what TV Media is considered.

You may wish to download and run the latest versions of SpyBot: Search and Destroy and Adaware SE.

network-man

I had no control over this machine. It came to me as is.

I'm just trying to help the people that have a jacked up machine and may be looking for an answer. The article I mentioned worked very well to fix the rebooting continuously problem I mentioned.

Now on to the problem of cleaning the machine up. I know all about Spybot & Ad Aware and spywhere problems.
I can already see why you have so many posts to your credit, such wise and insightful replies, and I just got here.

network-man

WhitPhil said:
As well, MS has a tool to specifically deal with TV Media.
Yes they do, and it's listed in the article I originally posted- KB 885523.

If the machine is continually rebooting in standard or safe mode, having a removal tool doesn't do much good. That's all I'm trying to say to help out Joe User who may have run SP2 on his machine without having run SpyBot or AdAware first. We know they're out there, and maybe they'll Google for help with that and come across this thread, find reference to KB 885523 and uninstall the failed attempt at installing SP2 and then clean up their machine.

With a site name like techguy.org I would think that 2 guys with nearly 10,000 posts between them would be able to come up with more help than a few sentences with no content. Besides, I wasn't even asking for help, I was providing a resolution to a problem that other people may run across. I don't know if you guys actually work in the computer services arena, but that's no way to provide customer support- Oh, your computer continuously reboots? Too bad, you should have run Ad Aware. Gee, your car's tire is flat? Maybe you should have used premium gas. That's the same kind of answer.

Triple6

Rob
Since you posted I assumed you wanted help, but at the same time I saw you were going to try a fix you already found. I did not see a need to write a long response, nor do I know what level of expertise you have. Also, since you failed to provide details we cannot know how to respond so we give what we can. Once you recover the system would you not want to run these tools to clean it up.

I'm sorry we haven't pleased you. But if you haven't noticed we all volunteer here and no one is forcing us to help others for free. And yes, I do work in the computer field and do very thank-you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online