1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP reboots no matter what I try

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by youtim, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. youtim

youtim Thread Starter

I screwed up and humbly ask for some help.

I am having trouble starting my home computer. I have XP Pro.
    It was working fine until I tried to install some HP Printer software. The install was unsuccessful so I uninstalled. I don't think the software was XP compatible.

I started getting this message. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF7210209, 0x00000000, 0xF7210209, 0x00000000)

I have tried to reinstall using my CD that came whith XP when I purchased it. I can get all the way to where it starts copying files over to get ready to either install or repair. When I select eitehr install or repair I get the blue screen again and the computer restarts.

I do not have a ASR disk either. I am kicking myself for not making one.

I have a different hard drive that I was able to load XP to without any problems when I hook it up so I don't think there are any problems with any of the hardware.

I would just like to be able to get my new hard drive working again.:confused:

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Try restoring your system to a previous date using XP's system restore feature.
    To do this Click Start/Programs/Accesories/System tools/System Restore and the follow the prompts.
    There may be a restore point when you first tried installing your HP printer if so try restoring it to that one, if not you will need to select a date.

3. mobo

mobo

Have you tried booting the unbootable system to the safe mode option screen ? Try so and attempt a system retore from safe mode if you can get in.

4. EvileYe

EvileYe

Forgot to mention to try booting into safe mode first then use the restore feature. To boot into safe mode, keep tapping the f8 key while booting up.

5. youtim

youtim Thread Starter

I actually have already tried restoring to an earlier data point. I picked a date prior to the mess. It seemed to work and then one night the computer wouldn't start.

I have tried to start in Safe Mode and the computer just reboots.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you installed xp to another hd [and that was ok] have you run the hd mgf's utility for checking the drive? After you run the utility [and it checks out ok] let it write zeros to the drive.

Now do the install. Make sure you backup anything you want since writing zeros will destroy all data on the drive.

7. youtim

youtim Thread Starter

I don't know how to run the utility?

How can I backup the files if I can't start the hard drive up?

Is there a way to access it after starting up the other hard drive?

Thanks for the help so far.

8. EvileYe

EvileYe

This would seem to point to a Hard drive Problem, if the system restore has previously worked then suddenly failed, and the system boots ok with another hard drive installed.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to open the case and see who made the hd. It would be a mgf like Maxtor, Western Digital, IBM, etc. Go to their site and download the utility. Run the file and it will make a bootable floppy with the program on it. Restart the computer and the program should start for you. There are detailed instructions on the site.

As to backing up files, you could hookup the problem drive in the computer you are using now. Copy what you want and then run the program.

10. mobo

mobo

If it is the maxtor powermax then the instructions on its usage are on the page http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_hdd2.html . As for the retrieving data, you could load up both hard drives and explore the unbootable system from the bootable one and copy all your important data then paste to the desired location.

11. youtim

youtim Thread Starter

This is great stuff. I will try to download the utility and run that when I get home.

As far as hooking up the problem hard drive to the good one and copying over the files I want to keep.

How do I hook up the problem drive so that it is accessible?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Problem drive would be hooked up as a slave to the drive now in the system. If you are using ATA66/100/133, then you just set both drives as CS [cable select] master goes to the black connector, slave to the grey connector, and the blue end to the mb. If you have an older system, you will need to set jumpers as master / slave.

13. mobo

mobo

Exactly. Then boot up into the working system and right click on the start , then explore and go anywhere in the old broken system that you wish.

14. youtim

youtim Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone!!!

I will let you know what the outcome is.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice