1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Recovery Admin Password Help Needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BratDawg, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    I am trying to do a windows xp repair installation and it is asking for an administrator password. The person who owns the computer and who set it up said she never had a password.

Is there a way around this?

I can not get to a dos prompt. If I try to boot off the hard drive I get NTLDR missing. If I boot from the OS cd I get sent to the installation & setup routine.

She has not backed up her data so I don't want to risk losing it. Suggestions?

A tech replaced her motherboard recently, she was able to use it for a few days before it started powering down again. Dell sent a replacement fan and I replaced it. She had been getting the NTLDR message before bringing the machine to me, so it's not something I caused. It also isn't likely the other repair tech didn't connect something because it worked for her for a few days after he was in there. (It's a laptop so I'm not eager to rip it apart if I don't have to).

Thanks for suggestions.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try this:

You receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message when you start your computer
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm#b

This should work and if not have the owner of the machine post her for the way to get the password. I have a little bit of difficulty giving that kind of iinfo to someone who does not own the computer.

3. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    Thanks, it's after #5 - prompted for administrator password - that we hit a wall.

For anyone else looking at this, I was reading in an XP book that XP Pro Upgrades FORCE a person to set up an administrator password. Home doesn't. I just called her and asked and she has xp pro on it. She is going to call the tech who upgraded her to pro and see if he wrote down the password somewhere.

Without being able to get to a dos prompt I can't look at the files the book references.

Don't see I mentioned I went into the bios to check and the options to password access at that level were not enabled. So this is definitely something in windows setup.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

5. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    And this will work with xp pro? She couldn't get hold of the guy. :(

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It works with Windows 2000 and Windows XP and as far as I know both Home and Pro.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've used that utility on 2K, as well as XP-Home and XP-Pro, works just fine for any of them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/496406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice