Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

xp recovery cd says no factory image found?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  suzuki2903 
#1 ·
i tried to run the xp recovery cd and number 3 says " no user image found " and number 4 says " no factory image found". i cant reboot my computer and start from scratch and have no idea on what to do lol, I did look all over the internet but didnt find any info. any ideas on what i can do so i can re do my computer

#2 ·
Hi, Welcome to TSG!

Please post the make and model of the computer in question- if it's a notebook, look underneath the machine for the model information on a label.

The brand is not enough>>> have to have the specific model number.

One thing to try is simply to wash the CDs in clear very warm tap water and pat them dry carefully, do not use anything harsh , no paper towels...only a soft towel. Then try booting up with the first disk and see what happens when it gets to number 3.

I've gotten a set of HP Recovery disks that had several bad CDs....so it's not unheard of, I just sent for a new set....which I paid $23 for including shipping. There was nothing wrong with the second set. I did not see any scratches or anything on the first set, and they were never used by the owner, I unwrapped them but several would not run. I think, because they were the wrong set for the HP machine, though I didn't bother to investigate.

Owner was happy to get a set that did work, sometimes they are still available, sometimes not...I will look it up for you unless you know where to.

[edit]These disks are what came with the computer, right? Not burned copies? Is most of the hardware the same?

Here's one thing that could be wrong> Read about what the two error messages may mean below:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...ompaq-presario-windows-installation-help.html

I know that info is for a Compaq- I though maybe yours might be. If you do have a Compaq, do you have the Quick Restore CD? Info I've read says you need to use that one, if you get the messages you are seeing...

Was your system the original factory install (the one you were using just prior to having problems).?

Have you used anything to delete the hidden partition by chance ? (it isn't that hidden, my HP shows it in Windows Explorer and My Computer).

#3 ·
the computer is a compaq series 5000 home computer
the recovery cd worked until i used fix it utilities 7. after i cleaned up my computer with that program i lost word and a few other programs as well. the recovery disks are the original ones that came with the pc also.

#5 ·
I was working on a new compaq p6000 laptop (Vista) yesterday and couldn't believe it. they're using a regular partition (D:, about 5 GB) where the C: drive was cloned ... no image file, just a normal disk clone. they don't ship ANY recovery disks, no driver disk, nada. to restore the PC you have to press a key combo during the post screen and then hope, nothing went wrong with the image on D: ... really wonder what they are thinking :)

i mean, you don't have to use any 3rd party tools to do damage, good old Disk Cleanup with the feature 'compress old files' enabled will do ... ridiculous.

#6 ·
the computer did work but last night I finally got it to do the compaq restore, using the 4 cd's. after teh 4th cd loads id pops up saying. eror #1609 lost clusters, clusters 1312305 and 1312305. i cannot get the computer to do anything now except either quick restore or go to the blue bios screen. any ideas?

#7 ·
Are the disks you have for the restore the proper disks for this computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.