1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP reformat problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tjobbe, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

hi everyone,

tried reformatting my xp pc last night to do a fresh install.

everything wentok up to the point where you have to restart after formatting using the ntfs method, when it restarts it gives the "NTDETECT failed" message and restarts, and does it again and again.

I'm no computer whizz and this has really screwed things upfor me.. not a happy chappy :mad: so if anyone out there can help me i would be more than greatfull :)

Thanks

Tjobbe

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Have you tried starting over from scratch again. Delete the partitions and recreate them and reformat again.

Did you create the partitions with the Setup disks or another utility.

3. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

not once but four times!

I've reformatted before no problems so this strikes me as weird..

4. Squashman

Just want to clarify....did you delete and recreate the partition or just reformat.

5. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

stuck the xp installation disk into the drive, restarted, had the nlue screen with the options of "repair" and "install" i selected install and then deleted the partition, by pressing l and then enter, after this i selected "ntfs quick format", thats when it restarts, well, after it says "copying files to installation folders".

hope this helps..

6. Squashman

Dont do the Quick format!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

i di actually do the normal one as well, in the first instance and thats when it went all wrong..

8. Squashman

9. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

just tried normal format and got the same error. checking that link now, thanks..

10. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

the link above is exactly what i did, but of course after the restart i get the ntdetect failed error message..

will try a different disk that didnt come with mycomputer now..

11. mobo

mobo

Is the xp loaded on the first sector of the hard drive. Did you delete all partitions during the install ?

Do you have multiple hard drives installed ? And is the drive set as master ?

12. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

"Is the xp loaded on the first sector of the hard drive." not sure what you mean by that, sorry!

"Did you delete all partitions during the install ?"

Yep.
    as per the link above that lwdsquashman gave me.

"Do you have multiple hard drives installed ? And is the drive set as master ?"

in order: no and yes.

I'm using a disk that a friend gave me, hope ive got the serial for it somewhere *hint*! its windowsXP professional edition

hope this helps?

Tjobbe

13. mobo

mobo

Are you leaving in the cdrom as it reboots? I know it a silly question but sometimes you just have to ask..

14. Tjobbe

Tjobbe Thread Starter

yes i am, it doesnt say to remove the cd, it does say to remove any floppy disks but not cds..

15. mobo

mobo

I have only seen this from a running system and you can get it to boot from creating a boot disk from here . It may be worth a try if you have access to an xp system. In addition have you had any previous trouboles with your gard drive ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!