XP Reformat w/o any Hardware Disks?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mustangclint

Hello all!

I bought this custom computer from a buddy but he didn't have any of the hardware disks so i don't have the drivers for anything. I've reformatted b4 but never on this puter and its definately time to do so.

I do have the WinXP disk so thats all good, but i'm not sure if i need the drivers for my motherboard, etc etc to make my puter run again.

I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff but could someone possibly give me a list of what drivers i have to download to disk b4 i reformat? And how to find out what drivers i currently have? Or whatever steps i should take b4 i reformat? Or will windows automatically find them for me? I have no clue guys, so please i need some help. My online games are running like crap and puter is slow.

I really really appreciate any help on this subject. Thx all!

You need to download the motherboard chipset drivers and video card drivers as a priority.

In order to do this you need to know the motherboard make and model, ditto for the video card (unless its on-board video in which case its done with the motherboard drivers).

mustangclint

Wow, that was a fast reply. Good thing i came here to ask. Thx BTW!

So where would i find what drivers i am using currently for my mobo? And another quick question. I have a video card but i read somewhere that i should disable the onboard video. Where do i go to disable that (xp) ?

Again, thx for the quick reply!

For information on your hardware, download and install this utility:

AIDA32
It has clickable links with most hardware items to take you to the manufacturer's site and/or the drivers site. Just make sure you write your specs down so you get the correct drivers.

To disable an onboard graphics card, right-click on My Computer => Properties => Hardware tab => Device Manager button => expand (the + sign) Display Adapters => right-click on the one you want to disable and click on 'Disable'. BUT ... don't do this until you have the other graphics card set.
You may also - but not necessarily - have to make an adjustment in your BIOS, but leave that for now.

EDIT: kiwiguy gave just as good a suggestion - I was posting at the same time.

mustangclint

Man this forum is awesome. Can't thank you guys enough.

K install belarc, got the page here for my mobo:
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8IPE1000-L%20(2.0).htm

Do i need all of them? And when do i install these? After windows is installed right?

Do you guys have a step by step guide just because i second guess myself all the time and really don't want to screw anything up.

EDIT*** i checked in device manager and all i got is Radeon 9600 series and Radeon 9600 series - secondary
I guess i'm good there?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Claymore said:
For information on your hardware, download and install this utility:

AIDA32
It has clickable links with most hardware items to take you to the manufacturer's site and/or the drivers site. Just make sure you write your specs down so you get the correct drivers.
FYI, AIDA32 is an older verison of Everest Home, which has also been discontinued.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online